Mar 23, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed Oliver Perez to a minor league deal, says Yahoo!’s Tim Brown.
Low risk and low money, so why not? At the moment the Nats’ depth chart has a rotation of Livan Hernandez, Jason Marquis, Jordan Zimmermann, Tom Gorzelanny and John Lannan. I’m struggling to see which of those guys is supposed to be a worse option than Ollie Perez, but it’s not like it would be unexpected for a couple of them to stink up the joint. Maybe if Ollie can figure something out down in the minors he’ll be some useful cannon fodder for the Nats at some point.
And if not? Hey, you’ve raised the morale of the other pitchers in the organization who see that, yes, it is possible to be even more hittable and walk-tastic than they already are.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)