Mar 23, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed Oliver Perez to a minor league deal, says Yahoo!’s Tim Brown.
Low risk and low money, so why not? At the moment the Nats’ depth chart has a rotation of Livan Hernandez, Jason Marquis, Jordan Zimmermann, Tom Gorzelanny and John Lannan. I’m struggling to see which of those guys is supposed to be a worse option than Ollie Perez, but it’s not like it would be unexpected for a couple of them to stink up the joint. Maybe if Ollie can figure something out down in the minors he’ll be some useful cannon fodder for the Nats at some point.
And if not? Hey, you’ve raised the morale of the other pitchers in the organization who see that, yes, it is possible to be even more hittable and walk-tastic than they already are.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 112
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)