Mar 23, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed Oliver Perez to a minor league deal, says Yahoo!’s Tim Brown.
Low risk and low money, so why not? At the moment the Nats’ depth chart has a rotation of Livan Hernandez, Jason Marquis, Jordan Zimmermann, Tom Gorzelanny and John Lannan. I’m struggling to see which of those guys is supposed to be a worse option than Ollie Perez, but it’s not like it would be unexpected for a couple of them to stink up the joint. Maybe if Ollie can figure something out down in the minors he’ll be some useful cannon fodder for the Nats at some point.
And if not? Hey, you’ve raised the morale of the other pitchers in the organization who see that, yes, it is possible to be even more hittable and walk-tastic than they already are.
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 58
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 49
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games