Vice President visits Yankees camp; betrays his Philadelphia Phillies

Mar 23, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT

Joe Biden, Mariano Rivera

Vice President Joe Biden is a Phillies fan, but today he visited Yankees camp in Tampa.

Look at him there. Wearing the Yankees gear.

I’m gonna be straight with you: I like Joe Biden. I find him to be a pretty interesting guy. But if I were the Vice President of the United States, I’d wear my own team’s stuff no matter where I was invited.  Someone invites me to a Mets-Phillies game to throw out the first pitch? I’m rockin’ the Braves cap.  They don’t like it? Fine, throw me out. I’m the Vice President, dudes! I got more important things on my schedule!

Wait? You mean I don’t?  Oh, well, that’s awkward.  Well, I suppose I can wear the cap you’d like me to wear.  Say, can I have something from the media room buffet? No?  Um, fine … I’ll just buy a hot dog and sit over there in case anyone needs me.

No one needs me.

1. cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Is it just me or does Mo look a little uncomfortable? He looks like he wants to be elsewhere…maybe Biden needs a tic tac? Saw Biden on the Daily Show. He gave out hot dogs to servicemen. Kinda cool.

• rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Mo look’s so uncomfortable he is smiling……………

2. Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM

He grew up in Scranton—up in (God only knows why) Wanker country. He’s a Yanker fan, but his second team is the Phightins (probably more politically based than anything else, since he ended up in Wilmington).

• grandslamsingle - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM

He’s got a more powerful motivation:

“The fact of the matter is, I love your team but my wife’s from Philly,” Biden said. “I will wear this proudly as long as my wife is not around,” adding that if his Phanatic Phillies fan wife saw him sporting the Red Sox jersey, “I’ll be sleeping alone.”

• delawarephilliesfan - Mar 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Au contraire, Utley’s Hair. Biden is a Wilmington Boy through and through. Yes, he lived in Scranton until he was 10, but his “Pa Roots” was simply footnote until he was running for national office. Trust me, I live here, it is a small town, we all know each other.

Biden is a long standing Delaware Valley sports fan, and he threw us under the bus wearing Yankees garb.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I seem to remember him closing a speech or a debate saying that he had to be a Yanker fan growing up in his grandfather’s house or something.

3. Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM

But remember also, President Obama wore his ChiSox cap to the Gnats opener (with a formerly Canadian starter for the Phightins) last season. At least David Plouffe has the right team.

4. yankeesfanlen - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:25 PM

The Onion needs a fact checker. There was no V-8 Turbo.
    And doesn’t he remember Guiliani blew a race with a Red Sox cap?

5. kcq101 - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Flip-flopper!

6. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Obama is back from his family vacation in South America which was disguised as a economic trip.
    Biden fucking around with ball players while american warships and planes kill more muslims, what a wonderful man I voted for, these mother fuckers ain’t no different than Bush.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM

rapmusic; you put the ‘ass’ in class.
      buh bye

7. xmatt0926x - Mar 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

“Vice President visits Yankees camp; betrays his Philadelphia Phillies”. I kind of like Biden too. At least I like how he has no filter between his brain and mouth. However, as a high level politician it’s very likely that he has betrayed all of us by now. These guys lie so much that they don’t even know what they stand for anymore.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

This is important to write about why exactly? Who gives a Sh*t!!!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM

The title clearly states what the post is about. You obviously didn’t like that. And yet you read it anyway. What is your problem? Do you have some deep-seated masochistic need to read posts that you dislike and inform the people who actually enjoy reading and interacting on this site. Why do you even read anything on here if you’re so averse to the content matter. Why not just take your anger elsewhere?

9. macjacmccoy - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:55 AM

I dont remember hearing stories about Obama betraying the White Sox when he wore Nationals gear on opening day last year. It must be my imagination hbt is nothing like GQ.

• baseballstars - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

That’s actually a good point. It’s probably for political clout.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM

He wore a ChiSox cap.

10. Jonny 5 - Mar 24, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Boy, I hope stuff like this

Doesn’t happen to him over this. But then again, I doubt too many Phills fans are as passionate as “animal activists”.

11. baseballstars - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Most politicians are sell-outs anyway. This isn’t surprising. But yes, stand up for your own team. Remember when Dane Cook wore Yankees gear in New York, then came out as a radical Boston Red Sox fan?

12. bear929 - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Let the Yank me’s have him. The next time he is in Philly, he will hear our voice. Boo the ASSHOLE!!!!We will kept his wife. As he said no one needs him!!!!!

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2683)