Mar 23, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
An afternoon meeting between the Red Sox and the representatives of first baseman Adrian Gonzalez went “really well’’ yesterday, with all signs pointing toward a long-term deal being struck in a matter of weeks, according to John Boggs, one of Gonzalez’ agents.
I picture these “negotiations” going down like the disarmament talks at the end of “Spies Like Us.” Solemn statements to the press about the progress being made but, once the doors to the conference room are closed, they’re all in their playing Risk and drinking cocktails while shapely Russian models sit on their lap while listening to “Soul Finger” by the Bar-Kays, the ink on the deal already dry.
What, you mean you didn’t see “Spies Like Us?” Like you had anything better to do during Christmas break 1985 but to have your mom drive you to the Smoot Theater in Parkersburg, West Virgina to see it in a double feature with “Fletch,” rounding out Chevy Chase’s single best year in cinema?
OK, I may have said too much at this point.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)