Mar 24, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
After a so-so rookie season Cahill went 18-8 with a 2.97 ERA as a 22-year-old sophomore, so giving him the Opening Day nod was a relatively easy call even if a 118/63 K/BB ratio in 197 innings suggests he was probably pitching over his head a bit in 2010.
Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, Dallas Braden will follow Cahill in the rotation, although the exact order isn’t set yet, and Brandon McCarthy appears to have the inside track on the No. 5 spot after finally getting healthy.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 11
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)