Mar 24, 2011, 1:23 PM EST
After a so-so rookie season Cahill went 18-8 with a 2.97 ERA as a 22-year-old sophomore, so giving him the Opening Day nod was a relatively easy call even if a 118/63 K/BB ratio in 197 innings suggests he was probably pitching over his head a bit in 2010.
Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, Dallas Braden will follow Cahill in the rotation, although the exact order isn’t set yet, and Brandon McCarthy appears to have the inside track on the No. 5 spot after finally getting healthy.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)