Mar 24, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
After a so-so rookie season Cahill went 18-8 with a 2.97 ERA as a 22-year-old sophomore, so giving him the Opening Day nod was a relatively easy call even if a 118/63 K/BB ratio in 197 innings suggests he was probably pitching over his head a bit in 2010.
Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, Dallas Braden will follow Cahill in the rotation, although the exact order isn’t set yet, and Brandon McCarthy appears to have the inside track on the No. 5 spot after finally getting healthy.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)