Mar 24, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
After a so-so rookie season Cahill went 18-8 with a 2.97 ERA as a 22-year-old sophomore, so giving him the Opening Day nod was a relatively easy call even if a 118/63 K/BB ratio in 197 innings suggests he was probably pitching over his head a bit in 2010.
Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, Dallas Braden will follow Cahill in the rotation, although the exact order isn’t set yet, and Brandon McCarthy appears to have the inside track on the No. 5 spot after finally getting healthy.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)