Mar 24, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
It wasn’t much talked about this spring, but one of the more interesting job competitions was for the Braves’ fifth starter’s job. The candidates: lefty Mike Minor and right hander Brandon Beachy. Frank Wren announced today that Beachy is the victor, with Minor being sent down to, er, the minors.
This is one of those situations in which the better overall pitcher probably lost, but did so for understandable reasons. Minor has way more upside than than Beachy — he was a first round pick whereas Beachy was an amateur free agent — but the Braves are in win-now mode and Beachy is a more finished product. If Atlanta wasn’t poised to compete, there would be a stronger temptation to see if Minor could swim in the big rapids.
Not that Beachy is any slouch. He was called up late last year and and made three good starts as the Braves clung to the wild card. Before that he seriously impressed in 35 appearances (13 of which were starts) in AAA and AA. Minor was himself impressive across AAA and AA, though he was more shaky during his nine appearances with the big club.
It wouldn’t be shocking to see both of these guys in the Braves’ rotation over the course of the season, and they’ll probably both have permanent homes there in 2012 and beyond. But for now Atlanta has gone with Beachy. And I tend to think it’s the right move.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)