Mar 24, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
Brewers third baseman Casey McGehee had to be carted off a Cactus League field on Thursday afternoon after taking a pitch in his right kneecap. Fortunately, it sounds like he’s going to be just fine.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com heard from club officials that X-rays taken on McGehee’s knee soon after his removal showed no structural damage. The 28-year-old bearded infielder was diagnosed with a contusion and is considered day-to-day.
McGehee slugged 23 homers and tallied 104 RBI in 157 games last season for Milwaukee despite posting an underwhelming .801 OPS. The Brewers are hoping that luck will be on his side again in 2011 as they look to capture the National League Central title on the back of a revamped starting rotation.
If McGehee is still displaying problems with his knee when Opening Day arrives, the Brewers may be compelled to carry former top prospect Mat Gamel for the regular season’s first couple weeks.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)