Mar 24, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
Brewers third baseman Casey McGehee had to be carted off a Cactus League field on Thursday afternoon after taking a pitch in his right kneecap. Fortunately, it sounds like he’s going to be just fine.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com heard from club officials that X-rays taken on McGehee’s knee soon after his removal showed no structural damage. The 28-year-old bearded infielder was diagnosed with a contusion and is considered day-to-day.
McGehee slugged 23 homers and tallied 104 RBI in 157 games last season for Milwaukee despite posting an underwhelming .801 OPS. The Brewers are hoping that luck will be on his side again in 2011 as they look to capture the National League Central title on the back of a revamped starting rotation.
If McGehee is still displaying problems with his knee when Opening Day arrives, the Brewers may be compelled to carry former top prospect Mat Gamel for the regular season’s first couple weeks.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3