Mar 24, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
Brewers third baseman Casey McGehee had to be carted off a Cactus League field on Thursday afternoon after taking a pitch in his right kneecap. Fortunately, it sounds like he’s going to be just fine.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com heard from club officials that X-rays taken on McGehee’s knee soon after his removal showed no structural damage. The 28-year-old bearded infielder was diagnosed with a contusion and is considered day-to-day.
McGehee slugged 23 homers and tallied 104 RBI in 157 games last season for Milwaukee despite posting an underwhelming .801 OPS. The Brewers are hoping that luck will be on his side again in 2011 as they look to capture the National League Central title on the back of a revamped starting rotation.
If McGehee is still displaying problems with his knee when Opening Day arrives, the Brewers may be compelled to carry former top prospect Mat Gamel for the regular season’s first couple weeks.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)