Mar 24, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
Brewers third baseman Casey McGehee had to be carted off a Cactus League field on Thursday afternoon after taking a pitch in his right kneecap. Fortunately, it sounds like he’s going to be just fine.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com heard from club officials that X-rays taken on McGehee’s knee soon after his removal showed no structural damage. The 28-year-old bearded infielder was diagnosed with a contusion and is considered day-to-day.
McGehee slugged 23 homers and tallied 104 RBI in 157 games last season for Milwaukee despite posting an underwhelming .801 OPS. The Brewers are hoping that luck will be on his side again in 2011 as they look to capture the National League Central title on the back of a revamped starting rotation.
If McGehee is still displaying problems with his knee when Opening Day arrives, the Brewers may be compelled to carry former top prospect Mat Gamel for the regular season’s first couple weeks.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)