Mar 24, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
That could potentially open the door for top prospect Brandon Belt to make the Opening Day roster, but that would involve Aubrey Huff shifting to the outfield full time and the Giants seem more likely to use Nate Schierholtz or Mark DeRosa to fill in for Ross unless it proves to be a major injury.
San Francisco brought back Ross for $6.3 million following his postseason heroics, but even if the calf injury only keeps him out for a couple weeks the 30-year-old with a track record of mediocrity is unlikely to be worth that money.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 49
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)