Mar 24, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
That could potentially open the door for top prospect Brandon Belt to make the Opening Day roster, but that would involve Aubrey Huff shifting to the outfield full time and the Giants seem more likely to use Nate Schierholtz or Mark DeRosa to fill in for Ross unless it proves to be a major injury.
San Francisco brought back Ross for $6.3 million following his postseason heroics, but even if the calf injury only keeps him out for a couple weeks the 30-year-old with a track record of mediocrity is unlikely to be worth that money.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)