Mar 24, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
That could potentially open the door for top prospect Brandon Belt to make the Opening Day roster, but that would involve Aubrey Huff shifting to the outfield full time and the Giants seem more likely to use Nate Schierholtz or Mark DeRosa to fill in for Ross unless it proves to be a major injury.
San Francisco brought back Ross for $6.3 million following his postseason heroics, but even if the calf injury only keeps him out for a couple weeks the 30-year-old with a track record of mediocrity is unlikely to be worth that money.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?