Mar 24, 2011, 8:21 AM EDT
I don’t like to criticize media. They have a job to do & sometimes have to be the bad guy. But @LATimesTJSimers should be ashamed of himself … Marcus Thames is one of the best teammates/ friends I’ve ever had. He brings 100% to every team he is with. I love him like a brother.
@LATimesTJSimers is Simers’ Twitter handle.
Like I said the other day, Simers’ shtick is his shtick and he’s welcome to it. But it’s pathetic and hacky even when directed at a big star he’s trying to cut down to size, and simply reprehensible when he’s taking on an unassuming role-player like Thames. Good for Granderson to call Simers out on it.
For Simers’ part, he tried his best to rehabilitate himself in a portion of yesterday’s column, catching up with Thames again, who was prepared for Simers this time. To Thames’ credit he seemed to be gracious and he engaged Simers on the subject of his defense. Simers continued to be a jerk, of course, describing Thames behavior the day before as “walking away in a snit” and “running away” from his questions, it apparently never occurring to him that his act is rude, bordering on the sociopathic.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)