Mar 24, 2011, 8:21 AM EDT
I don’t like to criticize media. They have a job to do & sometimes have to be the bad guy. But @LATimesTJSimers should be ashamed of himself … Marcus Thames is one of the best teammates/ friends I’ve ever had. He brings 100% to every team he is with. I love him like a brother.
@LATimesTJSimers is Simers’ Twitter handle.
Like I said the other day, Simers’ shtick is his shtick and he’s welcome to it. But it’s pathetic and hacky even when directed at a big star he’s trying to cut down to size, and simply reprehensible when he’s taking on an unassuming role-player like Thames. Good for Granderson to call Simers out on it.
For Simers’ part, he tried his best to rehabilitate himself in a portion of yesterday’s column, catching up with Thames again, who was prepared for Simers this time. To Thames’ credit he seemed to be gracious and he engaged Simers on the subject of his defense. Simers continued to be a jerk, of course, describing Thames behavior the day before as “walking away in a snit” and “running away” from his questions, it apparently never occurring to him that his act is rude, bordering on the sociopathic.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 38
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)