Mar 24, 2011, 8:21 AM EST
I don’t like to criticize media. They have a job to do & sometimes have to be the bad guy. But @LATimesTJSimers should be ashamed of himself … Marcus Thames is one of the best teammates/ friends I’ve ever had. He brings 100% to every team he is with. I love him like a brother.
@LATimesTJSimers is Simers’ Twitter handle.
Like I said the other day, Simers’ shtick is his shtick and he’s welcome to it. But it’s pathetic and hacky even when directed at a big star he’s trying to cut down to size, and simply reprehensible when he’s taking on an unassuming role-player like Thames. Good for Granderson to call Simers out on it.
For Simers’ part, he tried his best to rehabilitate himself in a portion of yesterday’s column, catching up with Thames again, who was prepared for Simers this time. To Thames’ credit he seemed to be gracious and he engaged Simers on the subject of his defense. Simers continued to be a jerk, of course, describing Thames behavior the day before as “walking away in a snit” and “running away” from his questions, it apparently never occurring to him that his act is rude, bordering on the sociopathic.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (180)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (146)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)