Curtis Granderson blasts T.J. Simers

Mar 24, 2011, 8:21 AM EDT

Granderson_Curtis

Curtis Granderson took to Twitter last night in the wake of T.J. Simers’ low-rent hatchet job on Marcus Thames the other day.  Granderson:

I don’t like to criticize media. They have a job to do & sometimes have to be the bad guy. But @LATimesTJSimers should be ashamed of himself … Marcus Thames is one of the best teammates/ friends I’ve ever had. He brings 100% to every team he is with. I love him like a brother.

@LATimesTJSimers is Simers’ Twitter handle.

Like I said the other day, Simers’ shtick is his shtick and he’s welcome to it.  But it’s pathetic and hacky even when directed at a big star he’s trying to cut down to size, and simply reprehensible when he’s taking on an unassuming role-player like Thames.  Good for Granderson to call Simers out on it.

For Simers’ part, he tried his best to rehabilitate himself in a portion of yesterday’s column, catching up with Thames again, who was prepared for Simers this time. To Thames’ credit he seemed to be gracious and he engaged Simers on the subject of his defense. Simers continued to be a jerk, of course, describing Thames behavior the day before as “walking away in a snit” and “running away” from his questions, it apparently never occurring to him that his act is rude, bordering on the sociopathic.

1. hep3 - Mar 24, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I can’t believe the LA Times continues to employ Simers. After Jim Murray, Mel Durslag and other great sportswriters, they should be able to find someone out of college that could do better than Simers.

2. nps6724 - Mar 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM

‘Now as for running away from the obvious question a day earlier, Thames says, “I didn’t handle it well because I’ve never been approached the way I was approached. It shocked the hell out of me.”

I found it odd that over the last nine years that no one had asked him about his poor defense keeping him from becoming an everyday player.’

Wow, this guy is the douchiest of the douches. Good on Granderson for taking up for a friend in a respectful way.

3. BC - Mar 24, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd can both be obnoxious and provoking, but they don’t come near to what this guy did or supposedly does. I’m a New Englander so I don’t know the guy’s body of work, but what he did to Thames is awful. Mr Simers, you are a chipwich and need to be fired immediately.

• Dan in Katonah - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Maybe you are right, but I always thought that the Jim/Chris Everett sequence by Jim Rome was the high watermark for media-baiting. Again Kudos to Thames for not going all Jim Everett on Simers, although that was one of the most deserved and amusing beatdowns ever caught on film.

4. aburns77 - Mar 24, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Good for Granderson for standing up to this hack. Curtis has always struck me as a rather mild-mannered guy, but the comments that were made about Thames were really off-base and deserved to be blasted

5. yankeesfanlen - Mar 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Granderson is probably the most articulate and thoughtful members of the Yankees (although Swish is more fun).
    Every interview I’ve heard, Grandy gives meaningful answers to legitimate questions without resorting to baseball cliches. It’s indicative of a careful thought process and interest in representing himself and team well.

6. baseballstars - Mar 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Kudos to Grandy for stepping up here. It’s a damn shame that someone was trying to make a name by knocking off Marcus Thames. Have some cajones and take on a Hall of Famer. Marcus might not have the best defense in the world, but there’s a reason he keeps getting employed – he can hit with power.

7. cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Good for Grandy. Simers is a F**ktard. Hell, he gives F**ktards everywhere a bad name. Since this odorous piece of excreta gets by with publicity I’m resolving 2 things; boycotting the LA Times (gonna miss those boob slide shows, but oh well, its for a good cause) and never clicking on anything with his by line. Sooner or later he’ll go too far and one of his colleagues will catch his despicable old arse in flagrante delicto with a hog or something then we’ll be rid of him.

8. SmackSaw - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Simers gets national media attention. Mission accomplished.

9. marshmallowsnake - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I just attacked his twitter page because I have had enough of him…does this make me the twitter equivalent of him?

• pauleee - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Not until BC calls you the C-word.

10. yankeesgameday - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I follow Granderson on Twitter (@Cgrand14) and saw his tweets when they popped up. As a little lookout for you Craig I sent him a reply with a link to your article from the day before where you blasted Simers ahead of everyone else’s outrage.

Lord knows if Granderson saw it, since I’m sure he has a gazillion replies, retweets etc, but hey… I’m trying to look out for the cause, Mr. Calcaterra.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5384)