Mar 24, 2011, 8:46 AM EST
So far this spring Bartolo Colon has pitched way better than Freddy Garcia has, with the former having a better ERA, allowing fewer hits, striking out more guys and only walking one in 15 innings of work. But as you so often hear this time of year, spring stats should all but be ignored. The Yankees are ignoring them, George King reports in the New York Post, as they are leaning heavily toward naming Garcia the team’s fifth starter.
What it comes down to for Joe Girardi is health and durability. Yes, Colon looks good now, but he also didn’t pitch last year. The sharpness may be the result of playing winter ball, but maybe he runs out of gas soon after the season starts. Garcia, in contrast, is nothing if not durable. Not mentioned, but also worth noting, is that Garcia suggested earlier in spring training that he’d not be inclined to be a relief pitcher, so the Yankees making him a starter may allow them to keep both Colon and Garcia, perhaps making Colon a long man.
As I’ve said in the past, championships tend not to be won or lost on the strength of fifth starters. Even in the rare instances where a team does use one guy as the fifth starter all year, that guy tends not to be anything special. The Yankees will likely be fine with Garcia. Or Colon. Or both. Or those two and two other guys splitting starts.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)