Jorge Posada would consider leaving Yankees in 2012 “if it’s the right situation”

Mar 24, 2011, 11:48 AM EDT

pettite-and-posada Getty Images

Jorge Posada has no plans to retire, but his four-year, $52 million contract is up after this season and the career-long Yankee told Kevin Kernan of the New York Post that he’d be willing to play for another team “if it’s the right situation.”

Posada’s future in New York will obviously depend on how well he plays this season at age 39, but top prospect Jesus Montero‘s development will also play a big factor. Montero’s defense behind the plate gets mixed reviews at best, so if his bat proves ready and the Yankees become convinced he’s not a full-time option at catcher he seems destined for designated hitter, which would all but push out Posada.

Posada stressed “I really don’t want to go anywhere else” and “I would like to stay here,” but it’s tough to see where he’d fit into the Yankees’ plans as anything more than a bench player in 2012 if Montero isn’t behind the plate (or traded to another team, of course).

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM

This could become a Damon-esque excellent adventure. I like him at DH and hold out some probable hope as his back of the card offense numbers are way above average (he’s 28HRs ahead of a certain SS).
    Since I haven’t liked off-the-rack Yanks DHs the past few years, a good year should give him a shot.
    But if he goes all Grumpy about the offer, all bets are off and he can go join Frenchie in a snit.

2. uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I like hip, hip Jorge. But, the absolute only way I can see him staying with the Yankees is if Montero struggles at both behind the plate and at the plate. Even at that Posada’s at most looking at an offer for $2 to $3MM on a one year deal as a DH. Again I say at most.
    Otherwise, it was great while it lasted but don’t let the door hit you in the _ _ _ on the way out.

3. pisano - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Good year or not this will probably be his last year in New York. I think if the Yankees had to over again he wouldn’t have received a 4 yr. deal @ 36 yrs. old. He strikes out way too often and if a stat guy checks into it I’ll bet he hits into a lot of double plays. To be honest, I didn’t think they should have given Jeter as long a deal as they did, I just hope he produces for part of his deal.

• uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM

pisano, my friend. The only reason he got a 4 year deal was because he had a career year in 2007 his walk year. I don’t think there is any doubt that under any other circumstances 3 years would have been the most he would have gotten. At least this year he serves as the full time DH. But at the end of the year I agree with you. Sort of like the old Ivory Snow commercial 99.997% chance he’s gone.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM

if a stat guy checks into it I’ll bet he hits into a lot of double plays

last three years:

Posada – 7, 13 and 6
      Jeter – 24, 18, 22

Just throwing it out there

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

doesn’t Jeets get more plate appearances? That’s the real stat; dp’s by plate appearance ratio

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Posada
        7/195 – 3.6%
        13/438 – 3.0%
        6/451 – 1.3%

Jeter
        24/596 – 4.0%
        18/634 – 2.8%
        22/663 – 3.3%

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM

you win the point, sir…

• electstat - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Interesting numbers. Is that the dp’s by plate appearance with a runner on 1st, or just overall?

• Reflex - Mar 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I’m not really sure why its relevant. Posada plays on a team that puts a lot of men on base. In fact its the highest offensive team in the game. Of course he is going to hit into a lot of dp’s, all of thier players will. Hitting into a DP is an issue of opportunity, not some sort of magical batting skill.

I’m sure if you measured the 2010 Mariners you’d find that many of their players led the league in fewest DP’s hit into. With a historically bad offense, there simply was nobody on base ahead of a given hitter most of the time. Does that mean they were a team full of great offensive talent?

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Reflex; actually not a bad argument. Mariners have Ichiro. With his speed he’s like anti-dp magic potion. That’s the funny thing about stats; stare at them for too long and you could come to really weird conclusions (and get into epic arguments on these blogs over trivia).

4. yankeesgameday - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Sigh. Look, if Emmitt Smith can go play for the Arizona Cardinals after breaking the all time rushing record with the Cowboys I supposed I can live seeing Posada in an Angels outfit for a season or two. I bet he turns out to be a part time DH/player coach for Mike Socia.

Look at all of the amazing catchers turned managers in league history. Going somewhere that he can DH and start to impart the wisdom of his time in the league might be the thing that keeps him going in this game.

Although, I’d love to see him to that for the Yanks. Who was the last Player/Coach in baseball anyway?

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I’ll BET it was Pate Rose. (Only bet on sure things)

5. RichinNJ - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I think Posada will be able to hit for the next couple of years as long as he can stay healthy. Whether or not he can remain healthy is an open question.

• bigharold - Mar 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM

There’s good hitting and there’s DH good hitting. Posada is a pretty good hitting catcher but not really that good if you look at him as a DH. Unless by avoiding the grind of catching he can hit well above his career numbers I don’t thnk he’s a great option at DH.

Like Benie Williams a few years ago and Pettitte this year, it’s time for Posada to face his baseball mortality. Unless he tears the cover off the ball this year it’s just a question of whether he takes the high road, a la Pettitte or get shoved over board like Williams. I’m hoping he sees the writing on the wall and goes on his own. Either way, no matter the price, there really isn’t an obvious spot for him next year.

I’d hate to see him go to another team but hey, if Elston Howard can finish his career in Boston, of all places, I guess the world won’t come to a screeching halt if Posada spends a year or two with another team. He’s still better than Varitek so why not?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Williams didn’t get shoved over board. He was a league average player who didn’t want to get paid like one. Last four years worth of OPS+ 107, 108, 85, 96. He was subpar defensively and had a terrible arm. With Giambi DH’ing, there was no where to put Williams.

Posada still has a good bat (OPS+ 153, 103, 125, 116). His problem is staying healthy. Avoiding catching and the injuries that followed (broken fingers for instance) he should be able to play almost a full year where his bat is still above average.

• bigharold - Mar 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM

“Williams didn’t get shoved over board.”

Sure he did but it was time, his arm was shot. And, your stats are dead on. The Yankees wouldn’t accomadate his demand for a ML contract and he felt it was beneath him to have to come and win a spot on the team. Hence the shoving reference.

With Posada not catching I would expect a better performance but unless he shows something truely unexpected I don’t see why the Yankees would bring him back. It would just gum up the works. The DH spot is going to get passed around between Jeter and A-Rod and perhaps Montero. That makes Posada expendable regardless of the price.

6. rossnj - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I don’t think there’s any way Jorge catches again. There were a few stories about his concussion history and the effect on his life – it sure made it sound like his health can’t risk being behind the plate anymore.

7. baseballstars - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I like Posada, and hate to see the Core Four getting old, but the Yankees need to understand the situation – he’s no longer a passable defensive catcher, and his offensive numbers don’t justify a DH position.

I wish him the best, and if he wants to play, more power to him. Can’t fault him there. I just hope the Yankees know when to break the relationship.

• pisano - Mar 24, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Very well said, and I agree with you 100%. Like you said, good luck to him.

8. stevem7 - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Why have we gotten to the point where we think that 36 and 37 y/o men are the future? Posada, Andruw Jones, Jeter, Damon, AROD, and a host of others will ALL overstay their welcome. I only got to see Joe DiMaggio in his very last year and I was such a young child I almost don’t remember it. What I do remember is a man retiring because he couldn’t play up to the standards that he demanded of himself and he was an icon because of it. The beauty of baseball is there is always a youngster ready to play his heart out and it’s sad that GM’s don’t tell the older fellers “It’s been great, see you at OLD TIMERS DAY”.

9. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM

you know what we do with the Post in New York, not a damn thing, we don’t read that junk and
    neither should you.

buh bye

10. 1historian - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:12 AM

With the money these guys are making – in ALL pro sports, you really can’t blame them for overstaying their welcome. $13 mil a year or so for sitting on the bench ain’t bad.

All the trade deadline news to know