Murray Chass slams Stan Musial. Really.

Mar 24, 2011, 1:59 PM EDT

Murray Chass

Some blogger who writes from home — claims he used to actually be a reporter with a big paper or something — decided today that the most pressing thing he had to do today was to cut Stan Musial down to size:

It turns out that the 90-year-old Musial is not the Saint Stan he is considered in St. Louis. For sure, Musial remains the great player he was in his Hall of Fame career and deserves all of the accolades he has received for his achievements in that career.

As a person, however, he left much to be desired. Marvin Miller raised the issue in a recent conversation and provided the evidence to make his case. It is a convincing one.

Actually, it’s not.  It’s two third-hand anecdotes in which someone told someone who told Miller about something Musial allegedly did. Or, rather, things employees at a restaurant for which he was almost certainly a hands-off owner did in denying Curt Flood a seat because he was black. And something a committee on which Musial served related to the first MLB pension system did. There’s really nothing in here about anything Musial himself did, and even the implications are contradicted by others.

This is weak sauce, even for Chass.  The same Chass who just recently got into a little trouble for another post he wrote, also based on a conversation with Miller, which Miller repudiated soon after. Wait, make that two of them.  It was hard to tell what happened in those cases, but I know one thing: if Chass is writing something based on his conversations with Marvin Miller, I’m not going to give him any benefit of the doubt.  Not that I give him much of that anyway.

1. purnellmeagrejr - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM

There is not a more jealous, backbiting bunch than sport writers.

2. Drew Silva - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Stan’s the worst. I mean, just the absolute worst.

• paperlions - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM

+1 for correct use of irony

• paperlions - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Funny. Having now browsed through the column, Chass misused ironic right after saying that it was too often used…the reason it is overused is because it is used to mean a lot of things that are not ironic.
      Maybe it is his dotage, but Miller also seems like a self-important bitter man these days.

3. The Baseball Idiot - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:05 PM

He’s a sad man.

4. steve keane - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM

….it was years since TJ and Murray had seem each other since their parents, Romainian Gypsies who traveld the country as grfiters, abandoned them at the Nebraska State Fair……

• IdahoMariner - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I find your comment offensive and rude to Romainian Gypsies. Not accusing them of being grifters, but accusing them of being associated with Slimers and Murray.

5. catsmeat - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM

It’s not bacne, but it’s still good enough for Old Man Chass.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I enjoy ripping Chass as much as everyone (I really, really do), but I’m beginning to think that the bump in readership cased by linking to his posts may be doing more harm than good.

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Yeah, I skipped that and just read Craig’s stuff. I never look at stuff by Simers or Chass anymore. They are beneath contempt. The Miller interview was a gooder and well worth the re-read.

7. yankeesfanlen - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Gee, Wally….

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM

heh, heh, heh…you said beaver…heh, heh, heh…

• scatterbrian - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Holy shit that is gold.

8. bobwsc - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM

he puts the ‘@ss’ in Chass.

• spudchukar - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Obviously, one does not spell Class with an “H”.

9. 1historian - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM

oh to be around when this clown and kitty kelley get together

on 2nd thought

who is this guy?”

10. BC - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

This guy isn’t just a chipwich, he’s a moron. Leave the 90 year old guy in peace.
    And Marvin Miller is like 90 years old as well – he probably doesn’t even remember the conversation.

11. Jonny 5 - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Chass on Edgar Martinez for the HOF

(Murray Chass) “His name is Edgar but he doesn’t look like a Mexican like all those Mexicans playing baseball look today. This is difficult to decide…is he a Mexican, Latino, Puerto Rican or just has an ethnic name? Either way it is a “no” for him, that’s easy to decide, but this is tough to decide his actual ethnicity.”

As if he’s one to talk.

That’s an actual quote there Murray. That’s what you’re supposed to use to prove your point, not a bunch of second and third hand rumors.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM

And on top of that, Isn’t he a champion of some HOF’ers of baseballs “golden age” who were openly racist? This guy has issues.

12. cintiphil - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM

This guy (Chass) has to be an idiot. Who opens his mouth without even verifying his data? Has any of this talk been checked out? I don’t think so. Also, why would anyone think that 90 year old men have memory lapses, to recall details like he intimates? After reading this tale, I called a friend who grew up in St. Louis, and told me that he used to go to Stan & Biggies restaurant (the original name) around 1954 or so. He told me he saw people of many colors there and certainly you could find an occasional Cardinal of Hispanic and / or black heritage. He told me that Julian Javier chose Stan as the godfather of his son who is named Stan Javier. I do believe that Julian is Hispanic.

I also believe that Chass is nuts (a clinical term).

13. Professor Longnose - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Hey, when did “chipwich” get to be an insult?

• coachbrew - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I’ve also been wondering about “chipwich.” I’ve never seen it used like that except on this site.

• Lukehart80 - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM

That’s just how BC rolls.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Secret HBT language. We also wear funny hats.

14. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Stan the man, awesome name.

15. curtfloodjr - Mar 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Mr. Calcaterra:

Let me say at the outset that I have been in Musial’s company on several occasions. I once even sat next to him at a Cardinals Old Timers Game” in the dugout at the old Busch Stadium for about an an hour. He was warm, gracious and said things about my father that were beautiful. He also graciously signed everything that i could find that was not nailed down. Stan Musial is a good, decent and honorable man. I have not read Mr. Chass’s blog, however, the incident DID in fact happen to my father and my mother. But according to my parents, Mr. Musial was not in the restaurant. His doorman that night called Mr. Musial by telephone, but by the time it could rectified, my parents were pretty much fed up with not being fed up.

Best,

Curt Flood, Jr.

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Oh. My. God. Please, let this have been for real…Sometimes, I really love the internet…if anyone of you guys has gone and changed your blog-handle to curfloodjr I will NEVER forgive you!
      Any ways, my parents, hell, my whole family at once, have had similar stuff happen as what happened to the Floods. Its amazing what gets tacked onto the famous person when it’s really only the actions of some low level miscreant. I’m glad I checked back here…

16. curtfloodjr - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Cur68. Shoot me an email, or click on my Facebook page. Just trying to clear up what some bigoted jackass did without Mr. Musial knowing. Hate to say it, but the thing that was done to many, many people during that era, would not have held up in court. If it was illegal, which I don’t believe it was. But, a black person would have to have been “certifiablly nut” to use a phrase from an earlier post, to try and make a big deal out of what likely happened all the time.

17. cur68 - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Mr. Flood;
    If it’s all the same to you, I’ll stick with this venue; seems selfish otherwise. Your dad and a handful of others were like heros to my brothers and I growing up. We really had no else to say; we want to be like that. Growing up in Canada and largely eschewing hockey for baseball, football, and cricket was the gesture by which we indicated that we were more like those athletes than the homogeneous looking hockey players that were held up by the media. It was really important back then to have people like your father in the world because we’d have felt even more alone than we already did and he was, as far as we could tell, a really decent person and worthy of our admiration. Thanks for writing back on this blog and pointing out what really happened. I stay out of these racially charged debates because I really can’t trust myself to be objective. Too many old wounds. Plus I’d rather laugh than get mad all over again which would of course make me seem like a nut (well, even more than I already appear to be).
    Thank you.