Mar 24, 2011, 1:59 PM EDT
Some blogger who writes from home — claims he used to actually be a reporter with a big paper or something — decided today that the most pressing thing he had to do today was to cut Stan Musial down to size:
It turns out that the 90-year-old Musial is not the Saint Stan he is considered in St. Louis. For sure, Musial remains the great player he was in his Hall of Fame career and deserves all of the accolades he has received for his achievements in that career.
As a person, however, he left much to be desired. Marvin Miller raised the issue in a recent conversation and provided the evidence to make his case. It is a convincing one.
Actually, it’s not. It’s two third-hand anecdotes in which someone told someone who told Miller about something Musial allegedly did. Or, rather, things employees at a restaurant for which he was almost certainly a hands-off owner did in denying Curt Flood a seat because he was black. And something a committee on which Musial served related to the first MLB pension system did. There’s really nothing in here about anything Musial himself did, and even the implications are contradicted by others.
This is weak sauce, even for Chass. The same Chass who just recently got into a little trouble for another post he wrote, also based on a conversation with Miller, which Miller repudiated soon after. Wait, make that two of them. It was hard to tell what happened in those cases, but I know one thing: if Chass is writing something based on his conversations with Marvin Miller, I’m not going to give him any benefit of the doubt. Not that I give him much of that anyway.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)