Mar 24, 2011, 1:59 PM EDT
Some blogger who writes from home — claims he used to actually be a reporter with a big paper or something — decided today that the most pressing thing he had to do today was to cut Stan Musial down to size:
It turns out that the 90-year-old Musial is not the Saint Stan he is considered in St. Louis. For sure, Musial remains the great player he was in his Hall of Fame career and deserves all of the accolades he has received for his achievements in that career.
As a person, however, he left much to be desired. Marvin Miller raised the issue in a recent conversation and provided the evidence to make his case. It is a convincing one.
Actually, it’s not. It’s two third-hand anecdotes in which someone told someone who told Miller about something Musial allegedly did. Or, rather, things employees at a restaurant for which he was almost certainly a hands-off owner did in denying Curt Flood a seat because he was black. And something a committee on which Musial served related to the first MLB pension system did. There’s really nothing in here about anything Musial himself did, and even the implications are contradicted by others.
This is weak sauce, even for Chass. The same Chass who just recently got into a little trouble for another post he wrote, also based on a conversation with Miller, which Miller repudiated soon after. Wait, make that two of them. It was hard to tell what happened in those cases, but I know one thing: if Chass is writing something based on his conversations with Marvin Miller, I’m not going to give him any benefit of the doubt. Not that I give him much of that anyway.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)