Mar 24, 2011, 1:59 PM EDT
Some blogger who writes from home — claims he used to actually be a reporter with a big paper or something — decided today that the most pressing thing he had to do today was to cut Stan Musial down to size:
It turns out that the 90-year-old Musial is not the Saint Stan he is considered in St. Louis. For sure, Musial remains the great player he was in his Hall of Fame career and deserves all of the accolades he has received for his achievements in that career.
As a person, however, he left much to be desired. Marvin Miller raised the issue in a recent conversation and provided the evidence to make his case. It is a convincing one.
Actually, it’s not. It’s two third-hand anecdotes in which someone told someone who told Miller about something Musial allegedly did. Or, rather, things employees at a restaurant for which he was almost certainly a hands-off owner did in denying Curt Flood a seat because he was black. And something a committee on which Musial served related to the first MLB pension system did. There’s really nothing in here about anything Musial himself did, and even the implications are contradicted by others.
This is weak sauce, even for Chass. The same Chass who just recently got into a little trouble for another post he wrote, also based on a conversation with Miller, which Miller repudiated soon after. Wait, make that two of them. It was hard to tell what happened in those cases, but I know one thing: if Chass is writing something based on his conversations with Marvin Miller, I’m not going to give him any benefit of the doubt. Not that I give him much of that anyway.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 4
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 21
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 14
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)