Mar 24, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
No, not the pajamas avec shorts. Everyone knows those sprung from the addled mind of the great Bill Veeck. I’m talking about those tight doubleknit jobs with the numbers on the thigh. The ones that made Greg Luzinski look outrageously uncomfortable. Which, while it may be nostalgia speaking, I kind of liked. Or maybe I just like the general scheme, which looks pretty good on throwback pullovers that you see fans wearing in the ballpark anyway.
The point of all of this is that uniform expert Paul Lukas today has the story of how those things were created. It was a fan contest and the winning design came from a Braves fan living in Ohio. Those guys are all geniuses, it seems.
Anyway, a great story about something that would never, ever happen today: a baseball team choosing a uniform design that wasn’t hatched in some corporate conference room. For better or for worse.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)