Must-Click Link: how the White Sox got those early 80s uniforms

Mar 24, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT

Click Here large

No, not the pajamas avec shorts. Everyone knows those sprung from the addled mind of the great Bill Veeck. I’m talking about those tight doubleknit jobs with the numbers on the thigh. The ones that made Greg Luzinski look outrageously uncomfortable. Which, while it may be nostalgia speaking, I kind of liked. Or maybe I just like the general scheme, which looks pretty good on throwback pullovers that you see fans wearing in the ballpark anyway.

The point of all of this is that uniform expert Paul Lukas today has the story of how those things were created. It was a fan contest and the winning design came from a Braves fan living in Ohio. Those guys are all geniuses, it seems.

Anyway, a great story about something that would never, ever happen today: a baseball team choosing a uniform design that wasn’t hatched in some corporate conference room. For better or for worse.

1. tmohr - Mar 24, 2011 at 10:15 AM

As a life-long Chicagoan, I’l submit that those uniforms were just ugly, not iconic.

However, what amazes me is that of the six finalists (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5057/5547089015_4b65535007_o.png), that was the least ugly.

2. sosascork - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Great story. I grew up with those uni’s, and I blame them for all of the goofy fashions I wore in the 80’s. Still love that logo, though! http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5551771470_d86fd5f514.jpg

3. minnesconsin - Mar 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Another example of this would be the Brewers logo from the late 70s to early/mid 90s, which was designed by a UW-Eau Claire undergrad as part of a contest. cool story (and wayyyy better than any nasty ChiSox logo)

4. tribester - Mar 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM

In a hypothetical world, the Tribe could really use something like this to kick out Chief Wahoo and still keep fans happy/involved.

Alas, there’s marketing folk to deal with, and with the Internet, there would probably be millions of entries from all around the world now.

5. Mike Luna - Mar 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM

It was the ’80s. People didn’t know any better back then.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3303)