Mar 24, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
With concerns about his surgically repaired shoulder likely limiting the potential trade market and two catchers ahead of him on the depth chart, the Nationals sent Jesus Flores to the minors today.
Flores was once the Nationals’ catcher of the future, but suffered a shoulder injury after getting off to a great start in 2009 and hasn’t played since, as the Nationals signed Ivan Rodriguez to be their short-term starter behind the plate and traded for Wilson Ramos to be their new catcher of the future.
Flores is still just 26 years old and showed a lot of promise before the injury, so if he can stay in the lineup at Triple-A, prove that his arm strength is back, and put together a couple good months there should be quite a bit of trade interest as the July 31 deadline approaches.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 15
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 25
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 38
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)