Mar 24, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
With concerns about his surgically repaired shoulder likely limiting the potential trade market and two catchers ahead of him on the depth chart, the Nationals sent Jesus Flores to the minors today.
Flores was once the Nationals’ catcher of the future, but suffered a shoulder injury after getting off to a great start in 2009 and hasn’t played since, as the Nationals signed Ivan Rodriguez to be their short-term starter behind the plate and traded for Wilson Ramos to be their new catcher of the future.
Flores is still just 26 years old and showed a lot of promise before the injury, so if he can stay in the lineup at Triple-A, prove that his arm strength is back, and put together a couple good months there should be quite a bit of trade interest as the July 31 deadline approaches.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins