Mar 24, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT
Only Nixon could go to China, only Kirk could make peace with the Kilingons and only the New York Post can tell people that it’s time to stop going after Alex Rodriguez:
Look, Alex Rodriguez always has been Alex Rodriguez’s worst enemy, and perhaps his litany of career sins — runaway ego and greed mixed with steroids — is never going to be absolved, even if A-Rod has offered a better version of himself the past two years.
Nevertheless, at some point legitimate critique of Rodriguez has been usurped by something close to piling on. He is the fish in the barrel and shooting at him has become a hard-to-break habit. It feels like the fun, easy game that anyone can play.
Of course, that’s Joel Sherman, who usually does way better than your typical Post or Daily News opinion-monger, so it’s possible that he’ll be drummed out of the club for making such a suggestion.
But he’s right on the mark too. It’s fair game to call out Rodriguez for his trespasses, but (a) it has been some time since he’s had a major one; and (b) the minor ones he gets beat up for are simply silly, even if they could be called trespasses (would that I do something so “embarrassing” as to have a famous Hollywood actress feed me by hand while sitting in expensive seats at the Super Bowl).
And Sherman’s main point is the best rebuttal of them all: Rodriguez works his ass off as a baseball player. And he’s one of the best who has ever lived. You’d think more time would be spent on that end of things.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)