Mar 24, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
I’m sure you haven’t heard enough Opening Day starter talk for one day, so here’s another one: Baltimore will go with Jeremy Guthrie in Game 1, followed in the rotation by Brian Matusz, Brad Bergesen, and Jake Arrieta.
Because the Orioles may not need a fifth starter for the first several weeks they could carry an extra reliever rather than a full rotation initially. Once they do need a No. 5 guy, Chris Tillman and Zach Britton will likely be in the mix.
Kevin Millwood got the Opening Day start last season and went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA, so it’s not a particularly tough act for Guthrie to follow, although he actually had a Millwood-like 2009 before bouncing back with a 3.83 ERA in 209 innings last year.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel