Mar 24, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
I’m sure you haven’t heard enough Opening Day starter talk for one day, so here’s another one: Baltimore will go with Jeremy Guthrie in Game 1, followed in the rotation by Brian Matusz, Brad Bergesen, and Jake Arrieta.
Because the Orioles may not need a fifth starter for the first several weeks they could carry an extra reliever rather than a full rotation initially. Once they do need a No. 5 guy, Chris Tillman and Zach Britton will likely be in the mix.
Kevin Millwood got the Opening Day start last season and went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA, so it’s not a particularly tough act for Guthrie to follow, although he actually had a Millwood-like 2009 before bouncing back with a 3.83 ERA in 209 innings last year.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 160
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)