Mar 24, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
I’m sure you haven’t heard enough Opening Day starter talk for one day, so here’s another one: Baltimore will go with Jeremy Guthrie in Game 1, followed in the rotation by Brian Matusz, Brad Bergesen, and Jake Arrieta.
Because the Orioles may not need a fifth starter for the first several weeks they could carry an extra reliever rather than a full rotation initially. Once they do need a No. 5 guy, Chris Tillman and Zach Britton will likely be in the mix.
Kevin Millwood got the Opening Day start last season and went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA, so it’s not a particularly tough act for Guthrie to follow, although he actually had a Millwood-like 2009 before bouncing back with a 3.83 ERA in 209 innings last year.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)