Mar 24, 2011, 3:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: Here’s the portrait. It’s actually pretty damn dignified. And, as a reader notes, the portrait is being donated by Peter Gammons and his wife Gloria. Which is kinda cool.
3: 58 PM: This is somewhat unexpected:
Former All-Star pitcher Pedro Martinez is in Washington to conduct a baseball mini-clinic and to promote exercise for children … On Friday, he’ll attend an unveiling of his portrait at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.
And no other context is given.
Maybe this is just me, but I’m having a hard time imagining a portrait of Martinez that isn’t, I dunno, less-than-Smithsonian-National-Portrait-Gallery-worthy. In my mind that place is for pictures of statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you. Martinez, on the other hand, is a guy who always looks like he’s half a second away from some funny comment or a knowing smirk or something.
Oh well. No matter what his portrait looks like, on the merits he’s better than most statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you, so good for him. I hope he’s pictured in an Expos uniform, however.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 0
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 12
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)