Mar 24, 2011, 3:58 PM EST
UPDATE: Here’s the portrait. It’s actually pretty damn dignified. And, as a reader notes, the portrait is being donated by Peter Gammons and his wife Gloria. Which is kinda cool.
3: 58 PM: This is somewhat unexpected:
Former All-Star pitcher Pedro Martinez is in Washington to conduct a baseball mini-clinic and to promote exercise for children … On Friday, he’ll attend an unveiling of his portrait at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.
And no other context is given.
Maybe this is just me, but I’m having a hard time imagining a portrait of Martinez that isn’t, I dunno, less-than-Smithsonian-National-Portrait-Gallery-worthy. In my mind that place is for pictures of statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you. Martinez, on the other hand, is a guy who always looks like he’s half a second away from some funny comment or a knowing smirk or something.
Oh well. No matter what his portrait looks like, on the merits he’s better than most statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you, so good for him. I hope he’s pictured in an Expos uniform, however.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)