Mar 24, 2011, 3:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: Here’s the portrait. It’s actually pretty damn dignified. And, as a reader notes, the portrait is being donated by Peter Gammons and his wife Gloria. Which is kinda cool.
3: 58 PM: This is somewhat unexpected:
Former All-Star pitcher Pedro Martinez is in Washington to conduct a baseball mini-clinic and to promote exercise for children … On Friday, he’ll attend an unveiling of his portrait at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.
And no other context is given.
Maybe this is just me, but I’m having a hard time imagining a portrait of Martinez that isn’t, I dunno, less-than-Smithsonian-National-Portrait-Gallery-worthy. In my mind that place is for pictures of statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you. Martinez, on the other hand, is a guy who always looks like he’s half a second away from some funny comment or a knowing smirk or something.
Oh well. No matter what his portrait looks like, on the merits he’s better than most statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you, so good for him. I hope he’s pictured in an Expos uniform, however.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 66
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 25
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 95
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)