Mar 24, 2011, 3:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: Here’s the portrait. It’s actually pretty damn dignified. And, as a reader notes, the portrait is being donated by Peter Gammons and his wife Gloria. Which is kinda cool.
3: 58 PM: This is somewhat unexpected:
Former All-Star pitcher Pedro Martinez is in Washington to conduct a baseball mini-clinic and to promote exercise for children … On Friday, he’ll attend an unveiling of his portrait at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.
And no other context is given.
Maybe this is just me, but I’m having a hard time imagining a portrait of Martinez that isn’t, I dunno, less-than-Smithsonian-National-Portrait-Gallery-worthy. In my mind that place is for pictures of statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you. Martinez, on the other hand, is a guy who always looks like he’s half a second away from some funny comment or a knowing smirk or something.
Oh well. No matter what his portrait looks like, on the merits he’s better than most statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you, so good for him. I hope he’s pictured in an Expos uniform, however.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement