Pedro Martinez … in the Smithsonian?

Mar 24, 2011, 3:58 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox Getty Images

UPDATE:  Here’s the portrait. It’s actually pretty damn dignified. And, as a reader notes, the portrait is being donated by Peter Gammons and his wife Gloria. Which is kinda cool.

3: 58 PMThis is somewhat unexpected:

Former All-Star pitcher Pedro Martinez is in Washington to conduct a baseball mini-clinic and to promote exercise for children … On Friday, he’ll attend an unveiling of his portrait at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.

And no other context is given.

Maybe this is just me, but I’m having a hard time imagining a portrait of Martinez that isn’t, I dunno, less-than-Smithsonian-National-Portrait-Gallery-worthy. In my mind that place is for pictures of statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you. Martinez, on the other hand, is a guy who always looks like he’s half a second away from some funny comment or a knowing smirk or something.

Oh well. No matter what his portrait looks like, on the merits he’s better than most statesmen, generals and stuffy intellectuals standing next globes and what have you, so good for him.  I hope he’s pictured in an Expos uniform, however.

1. Jonny 5 - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Right under his portrait ” Yankees are my Daddy”

2. 18thstreet - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I work two blocks away from that museum and I go there during my lunch hour sometimes. The National Portrait Gallery is full of portraits of, say, actors and celebrities. His image will fit right in.

• Innocent Bystander - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I was there last year and they had an entire exhibit on sports and athletes. Not sure if it’s still running, but Pedro’s portrait may be going in that section.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

He’s the greatest pitcher of this generation, so I don’t see anything wrong with him being in the Smithsonian.

• trevorb06 - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Nozzle

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Schilling’s gonna be JEAL-OUS!!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Expect a nasty tweet momentarily—from his Lamborghini, of course.

5. cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM

So cool if was in an Expos uniform! that’s how I always remember him, too.

• henryd3rd - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Expos? Expos? Who are the Expos? Weren’t they once a member of the National League? What became of them? Oh I remember that there were another team that Omar Minaya ran into the ground and MLB contracted them. Yeah! Maybe someone will contract the Mets.

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM

And move them to Montreal or Vancouver? Hell yes, I totally agree. Once again, since its come up, I’d like to put a pitch in for the Vancouver Beavers, C’mon, who wouldn’t want to play the Beavers?

6. BC - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Is the portrait going to be of him hip-tossing Don Zimmer?

• bobwsc - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM

wasn’t it more of a double ear chuck-down?

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM

more of an ole` I thought, but there was some dual ear contact indeed. What was Zim thinking???!!!

• BC - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Could have been worse. He could have gone after Ortiz.

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Ortiz woulda just given him a hug (or Zim would have bounced off). Either way, he’s lucky he picked Pedro, who has great hands and reflexes. Lots of guys might have swung before they realized who it was charging at them out of nowhere. Imagine what Nolan Ryan might have done….

7. 18thstreet - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

http://npgportraits.si.edu/emuseumnpg/code/emuseum.asp?rawsearch=DistinctionCN/,/contains/,/AUT.AAA.AAA.AAC.AAS/,/false/,/false&emu_action=advsearch&newsearchdesc=Distinction%20contains%20Sports and Recreation&currentstate=DistinctionCN/,/contains/,/AUT.AAA.AAA.AAC.AAS&profile=people

• henryd3rd - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Awesome is all I can say about what is on display at The Smithsonian. Every sports fan should take a look if and when they are in DC or visit their site on the web

8. 18thstreet - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Oops. Sorry about that link, Craig. Can you delete it?

9. trevorb06 - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Expos are Canadian, no way it’s Expos at the Smithsonian.

Vote for Pedro.
    :-)

10. ukraineshaqfan - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

yeah, whenever I think of the pitcher who put up the two most dominant seasons in history of the game back-to-back for the team he played for longer than any other, I usually picture him in some other uniform also.

11. bloodysock - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Where is the mango tree in the portrait?

12. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Awesome portrait of, as I said before, the greatest pitcher of my generation. I’m 40. He put up historic #’s while guys were hitting 60+ home runs and juicing. While everyone’s ERA was going up, this guy was putting up sub 2.00 ERAs not once but twice. His 2000 season is the greatest season in baseball history. I don’t think there is really much of a question about that.

13. bobwsc - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM

weird to think of the Gammons having that painting in their house to begin with. “and through the foyer is our shrine to Pedro…”

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I think Gammons, being in Boston, realized that he was witnessing greatness that really is historic. Everyone loves to look at Koufax, and yeah, he had 6 historic years himself. But that wasn’t during the steroids era. That wasn’t when the ball was flying out the small ballparks. There’s a reason Koufax never hit 200 in ERA+ while Pedro’s ERA+ from 1997-2003 AVERAGED 213. The dude was simply the best ever. Sadly, some morons think more about him ole’ing a fat moron named Don Zimmer to the ground than they do how superb his pitching was.

• 18thstreet - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Year 2000: 32 walks, 14 HBP. In 117 plate appearances versus the Yankees, he walked 6 and hit 4.

I love him so much,

• bobwsc - Mar 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I’m not denying his greatness Chris – but the Gammons’s adorned their house with a huge painting of Pedro. that would be bizarre even in a mancave. the only place this picture should hang is in Pedro’s mother’s house, or Cooperstown (or the Smithsonian apparently).

14. Lukehart80 - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM

The jersey looks Dominican, but he’s wearing a Red Sox hat. Was there an event he would have worn that combination for? Am I off on what he’s wearing? In any case, it’s a nice portrait. Good for Pedro!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I think it is his 2009 WBC uni—the cap looks to have a D on it.

15. 18thstreet - Mar 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM

You know, a lot of people complain ESPN shows the Red Sox and Yankees too often. But there’s 25 comments here (yes, several of them are mine) for Petey’s sake.

• Lukehart80 - Mar 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Chicken or the egg? Sure, there are a lot of New York and Boston fans, but other people also know more about those teams and are more able to make comments about them because they’re somewhat force fed information about them.

• cur68 - Mar 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM

And I always think of Pedro as an Expo anyways.

16. macjacmccoy - Mar 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM

copy and pasting is never good when you miss words.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3950)