Mar 24, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Confirming what has been expected for a while now, today Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. replied “I would think so” when asked if Chase Utley will begin the season on the disabled list because of his knee problems.
Amaro stopped just short of making it official, but said: “I haven’t seen him on the field yet and we’re a week away.”
Not having Utley in the Opening Day lineup is a big loss for the Phillies, but at this point his status for the entire season is uncertain. For now the Phillies continued to explore every possible non-surgical option, but there’s no timetable for his return and the possibility that he may need to go under the knife looms.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)