Mar 24, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
I’ve written in the past about how, after the death of Buck O’Neill, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum screwed up by passing over O’Neill’s hand-picked successor, Bob Kendrick, and went instead with some political hack who I suspected would last a couple of years. Well, the hack lasted a couple of years, screwed the place up a great deal, then split and that was that.
You usually don’t get a second chance to do the right thing in such situations because people move on to other jobs and stuff. But the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is getting a second chance. They’ve hired Kendrick to serve as president:
Kendrick’s love for the museum in the 18th and Vine district and its vision is helping him overlook the pain of being denied the job the first time. Brown called him in January asking, “Would you consider coming back to the museum if the opportunity presented itself, or are you just done with us?”
After much deliberation — two months of negotiations, in fact — Kendrick decided it was an offer he could not refuse.
As I’ve said before, I’m no expert on the Museum. Those who know a lot about it, however, including Sam Mellinger and Joe Posnanski are pretty good bellwethers. Posnanski is pleased, and appears to be doing an about-face on his decision to walk away from the Museum. All of this, it seems, is a good thing.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)