Mar 24, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
I’ve written in the past about how, after the death of Buck O’Neill, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum screwed up by passing over O’Neill’s hand-picked successor, Bob Kendrick, and went instead with some political hack who I suspected would last a couple of years. Well, the hack lasted a couple of years, screwed the place up a great deal, then split and that was that.
You usually don’t get a second chance to do the right thing in such situations because people move on to other jobs and stuff. But the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is getting a second chance. They’ve hired Kendrick to serve as president:
Kendrick’s love for the museum in the 18th and Vine district and its vision is helping him overlook the pain of being denied the job the first time. Brown called him in January asking, “Would you consider coming back to the museum if the opportunity presented itself, or are you just done with us?”
After much deliberation — two months of negotiations, in fact — Kendrick decided it was an offer he could not refuse.
As I’ve said before, I’m no expert on the Museum. Those who know a lot about it, however, including Sam Mellinger and Joe Posnanski are pretty good bellwethers. Posnanski is pleased, and appears to be doing an about-face on his decision to walk away from the Museum. All of this, it seems, is a good thing.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)