Brad Lidge is heading to the DL

Mar 25, 2011, 9:33 AM EST

Brad Lidge AP

The hits just keep on coming for the Phillies. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports that Brad Lidge — who has already missed time with tendinitis in his bicep — is going on the shelf because of pain in his shoulder.

Kind of sounds like Johnny Cueto‘s thing: he had bicep trouble and then shoulder inflammation.  Earlier this week Cueto was given a relatively optimistic assessment: rest, wait and we’ll check back later.  Phillies fans have to hope that the same goes for Lidge.

All of that said — and despite all of the other Phillies injuries — I am not going to worry too much about Philadelphia. Unless and until one of the names on their list of hurt players is Halladay, Lee, Hamels or Oswalt, they’re still my favorites to win the east.

1. Jonny 5 - Mar 25, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I want Contreras to close. I think he’s got what it takes.

• ame123 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Contreras slides over to the 8th and Madson closes. Sounds good to me.

• kcq101 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I agree. Madson has better ‘stuff’ but not the right ‘head’ when it comes to the 9th. (kick chair -> break toe)

Contreras has good enough pitches/velocity, a step below Madson, but seems like he is unaffected by the gravity of big moments and/or 9th innings.

Madson could grow up and acclimate to the big moments, but nothing has been proven thus far.

All considered, though, I’d bet the Phils try to make Madson the closer for as long as Lidge is out. If he grows a set and settles in, he’ll lock in the spot, even if Lidge gets healthy. Otherwise, Lidge aside, Contreras is a good “worst case scenario”.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Contreras, as far as I could see pitched better as his workload got heavier. I think a 9th inning appearance every other night would be great for his pitching, Madson isn’t ready to close I don’t think. When I see Jose get out on the mound, I see he’s got nerves of steel. I don’t see that with Madson, he looks on edge.

• tigertigerwoodsyall - Mar 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Contreras will get the nod until Lidge comes back. He has proven that he can handle the pressure. Since it’s a fill in job for two weeks or so, they aren’t going to give the game to big game untested Madson.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

With this rotation, why would Lidge need to go on the DL to rest up? Just go to the bullpen and hang out there, Brad.

• henryd3rd - Mar 26, 2011 at 8:02 AM

I want to win the lottery and that’s not happening any time soon. You may want to speak with Ozzie Gullien or Joe Torre to see what they think of Jose Contreras? That dude a serious head case. from day to day you never know what you are going to get.

Its a long season and I’m sure Ruben has a couple of rabbits he can pull out of his hat in the event Lidge and Utley are out for extended periods of time

2. BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Think they regret not grabbing Soriano now?

• ame123 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM

• BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I look at it as addition by subtraction. Phillies will go 140-22 now (up from my previous statement of 130 wins).

3. ame123 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Blessing in disguise. Phils cant afford to have Lidge blow saves early on while he tries to regain his velocity. Madson is the better pitcher anyway and is ready for the closer role.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Madson, eh, doesn’t quite seem to have the right fortitude for the closer’s job even though he’s as good a setup man as there is……definitely the stuff…..and I don’t know i’d want to see Contreras there either…..I remain positive but this could be an issue that costs them some games

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Me likes me some Mad Dog, but he’s had oodles of chances over the last few years to show he can close, and has yet to prove that he’s any better than Lidge. One pitcher who has had any real success as a closer aside from Lidge is—and it pains me to say this—Baez. Now I need to consume some ay-dult libation as a coping mechanism.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I know Hair, I was going to mention Baez but then I felt my gag reflex kicking in…….hell, i’d try Romero before that…..

• xmatt0926x - Mar 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I’m kind of with you on that ame123. Madson has not proven he can do the job consistently when he’s had the chance. That being said I’ve finally had enough of Lidge and the “ohh..I’m fine. I felt really great!!” nonsense from Lidge when his velocity is way down yet again and he’s obviously laboring. I think he was right around 85-86 mph this late in spring and that’s not going to get it done. This team isn’t going to score many runs so the leads they have might be 1 or 2 runs and I don’t think most fans have confidence that Lidge can hold those small leads consistently while he’s topping out at 86. I think this is a blessing in disguise as we all know charlie Manuel would have stuck with Lidge no matter what.

4. brockw82 - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Is it just me, or is everyone and their mother putting WAY too much emphasis on Philly’s rotation….c’mon, Halladay, Oswalt, Lee < Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz — and they only won ONE World Series.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM

My guess is that if everyone AND their mother are doing it, then, yes, it is just you.

• brockw82 - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM

We’ll see in October — I don’t even think they’ll make it past the first round of the playoffs.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Well, as the adage goes, pitching wins the playoffs, so, there’s that.

• gammagammahey - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM

But they won their division every year that they were together. Baseball playoffs are such a crapshoot that preseason odds for who’s going to win the World Series are based primarily on who’s the most likely to be in the playoffs at all.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM

You know what brock, maybe you’re right…pitching, especially in the playoffs is way overrated…..and i’m sure you’d agree that so is showering, dental hygiene, and deodorant……

5. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Until the headline reads any of the following relax Philly fans:

Roy Halladay sidelined…
    Cole Hamels sidelined…
    Cliff Lee sidelined…
    Roy Oswalt sidelined…

The NL Least is a lock. Come playoff time, it’s a different story. But the regular season is nothing more than grinding out 97-100 wins and staying healthy. For the guy talking about the Braves winning only 1 World Series…I agree. But they did win 7,000 division titles in a row, so again…the regular season is just that…regular. Relax Phillies fans.

• paperlions - Mar 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM

but but but but….closers are sooooooooooooo important.

6. Jonny 5 - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM

STOP SAYING “NL LEAST”

from 2006 – 2010 the NL east has had a .511 wpct interleague. Which makes it 3rd best of all divisions.

Of all the AL, only the AL east has a better wpct than the NL east and NL west in that same 4 year span.

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Average winning % outside division (2006-2010): 0.473
    Average payroll (2006-2010): $81,563,057

NL West

Average winning % outside division (2006-2010): 0.515
    Average payroll (2006-2010): $75,094,204

• ame123 - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Interesting info, however 5 years causes an awful lot of turnover. Those 2006-2007 teams have probably had a 60-70% turnover rate.

• tigertigerwoodsyall - Mar 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I’m not really sure of what you’re trying to show here other than you have to pay money to win.

AL East 2006-2010 – 2 World Series Champs – Yanks and Boston
      AL Central 2006-2010 – 0 World Series Champs
      AL West 2006-2010 – 0 World Series Champs
      NL East 2006-2010 – 1 World Series Champ – Philly
      NL Central 2006-2010 – 1 World Series Champ – St Louis
      NL West 2006-2010 – 1 World Series Champ – Giants

8. nickynick04 - Mar 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I have had it with friggin Lidge. He always starts the year on the DL….This is last year as a Phillie….

9. macjacmccoy - Mar 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Did any1 expect Lidge to play at the start of the season? I thought every1 already knew he wasnt going to be ready until a week or 2 into April. Today was a good day for the Phillies IMO. Polanco and Victorino came back and Oswalt is feeling fine. Seems like good new to me.

10. tigertigerwoodsyall - Mar 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Lidge will be fine. His arm just isn’t there, yet. It’s not any different for most other pitchers, the Phils are only being cautious….as well they should.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4528)