Mar 25, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
Looper didn’t pitch in the major leagues last season, but signed a minor league contract in January that could have earned him up to $3 million with incentives. The 36-year-old right-hander posted a 9.95 ERA and 8/3 K/BB ratio over 12 2/3 innings this spring.
“After taking a year off, he came in and gave it a good shot,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “We just felt in the end he wasn’t going to be able to break with the 12 (pitchers). He had an outstanding career and it really was a good, sound idea. I’m glad we did it.
“He handled himself like a true professional, was very helpful to the young pitchers in camp and was very appreciative of the opportunity and certainly understood why he couldn’t break with the (team).”
Looper calls it a career with a 72-65 record, a 4.15 ERA and 103 saves over parts of 12 major league seasons with the Brewers, Cardinals, Mets and Marlins. He won a career-high 14 games with the Brewers in 2009, despite posting a 5.22 ERA and leading the majors with 39 homers allowed over 194 2/3 innings.
Why so negative? OK, sorry, maybe I’m still a little bitter about this. Enjoy your retirement, Braden.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)