Mar 25, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
Looper didn’t pitch in the major leagues last season, but signed a minor league contract in January that could have earned him up to $3 million with incentives. The 36-year-old right-hander posted a 9.95 ERA and 8/3 K/BB ratio over 12 2/3 innings this spring.
“After taking a year off, he came in and gave it a good shot,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “We just felt in the end he wasn’t going to be able to break with the 12 (pitchers). He had an outstanding career and it really was a good, sound idea. I’m glad we did it.
“He handled himself like a true professional, was very helpful to the young pitchers in camp and was very appreciative of the opportunity and certainly understood why he couldn’t break with the (team).”
Looper calls it a career with a 72-65 record, a 4.15 ERA and 103 saves over parts of 12 major league seasons with the Brewers, Cardinals, Mets and Marlins. He won a career-high 14 games with the Brewers in 2009, despite posting a 5.22 ERA and leading the majors with 39 homers allowed over 194 2/3 innings.
Why so negative? OK, sorry, maybe I’m still a little bitter about this. Enjoy your retirement, Braden.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)