Mar 25, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Looper didn’t pitch in the major leagues last season, but signed a minor league contract in January that could have earned him up to $3 million with incentives. The 36-year-old right-hander posted a 9.95 ERA and 8/3 K/BB ratio over 12 2/3 innings this spring.
“After taking a year off, he came in and gave it a good shot,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “We just felt in the end he wasn’t going to be able to break with the 12 (pitchers). He had an outstanding career and it really was a good, sound idea. I’m glad we did it.
“He handled himself like a true professional, was very helpful to the young pitchers in camp and was very appreciative of the opportunity and certainly understood why he couldn’t break with the (team).”
Looper calls it a career with a 72-65 record, a 4.15 ERA and 103 saves over parts of 12 major league seasons with the Brewers, Cardinals, Mets and Marlins. He won a career-high 14 games with the Brewers in 2009, despite posting a 5.22 ERA and leading the majors with 39 homers allowed over 194 2/3 innings.
Why so negative? OK, sorry, maybe I’m still a little bitter about this. Enjoy your retirement, Braden.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)