UPDATE: Bronson Arroyo diagnosed with mononucleosis

Mar 25, 2011, 11:01 PM EDT

Bronson Arroyo

UPDATE: According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Bronson Arroyo has been diagnosed with mononucleosis. A number of players have missed considerable time with the illness — Jed Lowrie is one recent example — but Arroyo told Sheldon via text message that he does not expect to miss any starts. We’ll see about that one.

2:12 PM: Bronson Arroyo felt good enough to throw 87 pitches in yesterday’s start, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that he has “a lingering cough” and underwent blood tests to check for valley fever.

Here’s the definition of valley fever from WebMD.com:

A disease also called coccidioidomycosis due to a fungus called Coccidioides immitis. About 40 percent of people infected with this fungus develop symptoms. Most often they have an influenza-like illness with fever, cough, headaches, rash, and myalgias (muscle pains).

That may not sound particularly worrisome, but valley fever is what caused Conor Jackson to miss nearly all of 2009 while playing for the Diamondbacks and questions about his health lingered into 2010. It can definitely be a very serious thing, but Arroyo told Fay that he expects to make his April 3 start and “they just want to get me on the right medication.”

1. Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM

They need a much more serious name for this illness. The name makes me think it is a side effect of Aqua Net and Madonna.

• cur68 - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Monsieur Cheveux: I know you’ll think I’m being facetious but Beaver Fever is worse. Shorter, not usually lingering, but WAY worse. Fear the beav!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Ward, you were awfully hard on the Beaver last night.

• cur68 - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM

heh, heh, heh…you said ‘hard on the beaver’…heh, heh, heh

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Shut up, Beavis!!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM

WTF?!? I’m 36 and I’m still cracking wise with Beavis and Butthead.

• cur68 - Mar 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I’m 42. B&B never grow old. It’s like having that happy childhood you always wanted…

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I still love Beavis and Butthead; have the complete collection on wav files….sadly, because of copyright laws, it doesn’t include the segments of them making fun of music videos.

• BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I agree. “Valley Fever” sounds like one of those Elvis “Clambake” movies….
      But all I know is that anything that involves something called coccidioidomycosis sounds gross.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Totally, like, fer sure.

• spudchukar - Mar 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Yep, Ut, that is where I was going, maybe he contacted it after one of his rock band concerts from a groupie in Thousand Oaks.

2. purdueman - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM

That contradicts the earlier rumors that he had either “Valley Fever” or “Crabs” (a type of STD’s). Bummer.

• spudchukar - Mar 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Exactly who do you think doesn’t know “Crabs” is a STD?

3. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 26, 2011 at 12:38 AM

probably caught it from kissing schilling like he did in “04

4. purnellmeagrejr - Mar 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I thought he got it from funky herb.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate