Mar 25, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Last week Ichiro Suzuki reportedly donated 100 million yen (approximately $1.2 million) and Hideki Matsui donated 50 million yen (approximately $600,000) to help support their home country following the devastating earthquake and tsunami.
Several major-league teams have also donated significant amounts of money and have also organized donation-matching programs for fans interested in giving as well.
To make a donation of your own, go to RedCross.org.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (102)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)