Mar 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
There are rumblings emanating from Tampa that, as suggested yesterday, Jesus Montero won’t be the Yankees’ backup catcher. But not so fast, Austin Romine fans! Your man won’t be either. The real number two: Gustavo Molina.
I normally don’t give a diddly durn about backup catchers, but Molina, you’ll recall, had a nice little feature written about him by Ben Shpigel of the New York Times earlier this spring. The hook: Molina has no chance to make the club, but he tries his damndest all the same.
That trying paid off. Good for Gustavo. And, though he’s not related to Jose, Bengie and Yadier, Viva Molina!
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)