Mar 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
There are rumblings emanating from Tampa that, as suggested yesterday, Jesus Montero won’t be the Yankees’ backup catcher. But not so fast, Austin Romine fans! Your man won’t be either. The real number two: Gustavo Molina.
I normally don’t give a diddly durn about backup catchers, but Molina, you’ll recall, had a nice little feature written about him by Ben Shpigel of the New York Times earlier this spring. The hook: Molina has no chance to make the club, but he tries his damndest all the same.
That trying paid off. Good for Gustavo. And, though he’s not related to Jose, Bengie and Yadier, Viva Molina!
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 58
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 88
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 13
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)