Mar 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
There are rumblings emanating from Tampa that, as suggested yesterday, Jesus Montero won’t be the Yankees’ backup catcher. But not so fast, Austin Romine fans! Your man won’t be either. The real number two: Gustavo Molina.
I normally don’t give a diddly durn about backup catchers, but Molina, you’ll recall, had a nice little feature written about him by Ben Shpigel of the New York Times earlier this spring. The hook: Molina has no chance to make the club, but he tries his damndest all the same.
That trying paid off. Good for Gustavo. And, though he’s not related to Jose, Bengie and Yadier, Viva Molina!
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)