Mar 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
There are rumblings emanating from Tampa that, as suggested yesterday, Jesus Montero won’t be the Yankees’ backup catcher. But not so fast, Austin Romine fans! Your man won’t be either. The real number two: Gustavo Molina.
I normally don’t give a diddly durn about backup catchers, but Molina, you’ll recall, had a nice little feature written about him by Ben Shpigel of the New York Times earlier this spring. The hook: Molina has no chance to make the club, but he tries his damndest all the same.
That trying paid off. Good for Gustavo. And, though he’s not related to Jose, Bengie and Yadier, Viva Molina!
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)