Mar 25, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
There are rumblings emanating from Tampa that, as suggested yesterday, Jesus Montero won’t be the Yankees’ backup catcher. But not so fast, Austin Romine fans! Your man won’t be either. The real number two: Gustavo Molina.
I normally don’t give a diddly durn about backup catchers, but Molina, you’ll recall, had a nice little feature written about him by Ben Shpigel of the New York Times earlier this spring. The hook: Molina has no chance to make the club, but he tries his damndest all the same.
That trying paid off. Good for Gustavo. And, though he’s not related to Jose, Bengie and Yadier, Viva Molina!
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)