Mar 25, 2011, 6:34 PM EST
The hits just keep on coming for the defending National League Central champions.
It sounds scary, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told reporters this afternoon that the 24-year-old right-hander is only expected to miss two starts.
“It’s something he could pitch with,” Jocketty said. “But discussing with Dr. (Tim) Kremchek, Dusty (Baker) and Bryan (Price), we decided to shut him down for about a week. Then he’ll start throwing again. We anticipate him missing his first two starts.
“It’s could have pitched with but it would have lingered through the year. He feels fine. He’s pitching fine. But in certain areas when he gets his arm back, he feels a little something.”
If you recall, Bailey was placed on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation last May, but he eventually returned to the big club in August and posted a 3.55 ERA and 59/19 K/BB ratio over 58 1/3 innings down the stretch. He entered spring training out of options and was all but assured of making the Opening Day roster.
Johnny Cueto is already sidelined with shoulder inflammation, so the Reds are set to begin the year with Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Travis Wood, Mike Leake and Sam LeCure in their starting rotation. At this rate, Dusty Baker will destroy his entire starting rotation by the end of May.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)