Mar 25, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for the defending National League Central champions.
It sounds scary, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told reporters this afternoon that the 24-year-old right-hander is only expected to miss two starts.
“It’s something he could pitch with,” Jocketty said. “But discussing with Dr. (Tim) Kremchek, Dusty (Baker) and Bryan (Price), we decided to shut him down for about a week. Then he’ll start throwing again. We anticipate him missing his first two starts.
“It’s could have pitched with but it would have lingered through the year. He feels fine. He’s pitching fine. But in certain areas when he gets his arm back, he feels a little something.”
If you recall, Bailey was placed on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation last May, but he eventually returned to the big club in August and posted a 3.55 ERA and 59/19 K/BB ratio over 58 1/3 innings down the stretch. He entered spring training out of options and was all but assured of making the Opening Day roster.
Johnny Cueto is already sidelined with shoulder inflammation, so the Reds are set to begin the year with Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Travis Wood, Mike Leake and Sam LeCure in their starting rotation. At this rate, Dusty Baker will destroy his entire starting rotation by the end of May.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)