Mar 25, 2011, 6:34 PM EST
The hits just keep on coming for the defending National League Central champions.
It sounds scary, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told reporters this afternoon that the 24-year-old right-hander is only expected to miss two starts.
“It’s something he could pitch with,” Jocketty said. “But discussing with Dr. (Tim) Kremchek, Dusty (Baker) and Bryan (Price), we decided to shut him down for about a week. Then he’ll start throwing again. We anticipate him missing his first two starts.
“It’s could have pitched with but it would have lingered through the year. He feels fine. He’s pitching fine. But in certain areas when he gets his arm back, he feels a little something.”
If you recall, Bailey was placed on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation last May, but he eventually returned to the big club in August and posted a 3.55 ERA and 59/19 K/BB ratio over 58 1/3 innings down the stretch. He entered spring training out of options and was all but assured of making the Opening Day roster.
Johnny Cueto is already sidelined with shoulder inflammation, so the Reds are set to begin the year with Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Travis Wood, Mike Leake and Sam LeCure in their starting rotation. At this rate, Dusty Baker will destroy his entire starting rotation by the end of May.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)