Mar 25, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for the defending National League Central champions.
It sounds scary, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told reporters this afternoon that the 24-year-old right-hander is only expected to miss two starts.
“It’s something he could pitch with,” Jocketty said. “But discussing with Dr. (Tim) Kremchek, Dusty (Baker) and Bryan (Price), we decided to shut him down for about a week. Then he’ll start throwing again. We anticipate him missing his first two starts.
“It’s could have pitched with but it would have lingered through the year. He feels fine. He’s pitching fine. But in certain areas when he gets his arm back, he feels a little something.”
If you recall, Bailey was placed on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation last May, but he eventually returned to the big club in August and posted a 3.55 ERA and 59/19 K/BB ratio over 58 1/3 innings down the stretch. He entered spring training out of options and was all but assured of making the Opening Day roster.
Johnny Cueto is already sidelined with shoulder inflammation, so the Reds are set to begin the year with Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Travis Wood, Mike Leake and Sam LeCure in their starting rotation. At this rate, Dusty Baker will destroy his entire starting rotation by the end of May.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)