Mar 25, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
When Jayson Werth signed his massive deal with the Nationals back in December, my first thought was “wow, they paid elite slugger prices for a guy who really isn’t an elite slugger.” They still may have overpaid Werth, but to the Nationals’ credit, they’re not going to expect him to be something he’s not. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post:
Jayson Werth, the right fielder the Nationals signed this offseason for $126 million over seven years, will bat second in the lineup to begin the season, Manager Jim Riggleman said. The move comes as a surprise, but it is logical given Werth’s ability reach base and the Nationals’ needs at the top of the lineup.
Werth has power, sure, but he led the league in doubles last year while his homers went down. His true value is getting on base, with his OBP over the past four years being .404, .363, .373 and .388. Reasonable people may disagree about lineup theory, but this is pretty classic second hitter material. The worst thing for him and for the Nats would be if there was some expectation that he try to be the 40 home run guy that he’s never shown any real indication of being.
Nice move, Nats. Me likey.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)