Mar 25, 2011, 10:37 AM EST
Stanton not only left his indelible mark on the scoreboard — a tape-measure line-drive shot that traveled an estimated 500 feet — but also the Boston Red Sox and a sellout crowd at Roger Dean Stadium.
Stanton smashed two home runs on the afternoon, and when he was lifted for a pinch runner after knocking in his seventh run of the afternoon with a sharp single to center, many in the pro-Red Sox crowd gave him a standing ovation.
Because he’s a Marlin he doesn’t get as much press as guys like Jason Heyward or Buster Posey, but in many ways, there may not have been a more auspicious debt last season than Mike Stanton’s, even if a lot of people didn’t realize it at the time. He may take some time to figure out the strike zone — he struck out 123 times in 100 games last year — but lord have mercy does that young man have power.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15