Mar 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Beimel was considered a near-lock for the Pirates’ bullpen despite signing only a minor-league contract in January, but the veteran left-hander will begin the season on the disabled list with an elbow injury.
Beimel was shut down on March 1 and returned two weeks later, but was scratched from a scheduled outing Sunday due to more elbow pain.
He’s set to earn $1.75 million if he eventually makes the team, but Beimel hasn’t even been added to the 40-man roster yet and will likely stay behind at extended spring training to rehab.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 8
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)