Mar 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Beimel was considered a near-lock for the Pirates’ bullpen despite signing only a minor-league contract in January, but the veteran left-hander will begin the season on the disabled list with an elbow injury.
Beimel was shut down on March 1 and returned two weeks later, but was scratched from a scheduled outing Sunday due to more elbow pain.
He’s set to earn $1.75 million if he eventually makes the team, but Beimel hasn’t even been added to the 40-man roster yet and will likely stay behind at extended spring training to rehab.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 46
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 74
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement