Mar 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Beimel was considered a near-lock for the Pirates’ bullpen despite signing only a minor-league contract in January, but the veteran left-hander will begin the season on the disabled list with an elbow injury.
Beimel was shut down on March 1 and returned two weeks later, but was scratched from a scheduled outing Sunday due to more elbow pain.
He’s set to earn $1.75 million if he eventually makes the team, but Beimel hasn’t even been added to the 40-man roster yet and will likely stay behind at extended spring training to rehab.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 70
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)