Mar 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Beimel was considered a near-lock for the Pirates’ bullpen despite signing only a minor-league contract in January, but the veteran left-hander will begin the season on the disabled list with an elbow injury.
Beimel was shut down on March 1 and returned two weeks later, but was scratched from a scheduled outing Sunday due to more elbow pain.
He’s set to earn $1.75 million if he eventually makes the team, but Beimel hasn’t even been added to the 40-man roster yet and will likely stay behind at extended spring training to rehab.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 33
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)