Mar 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Beimel was considered a near-lock for the Pirates’ bullpen despite signing only a minor-league contract in January, but the veteran left-hander will begin the season on the disabled list with an elbow injury.
Beimel was shut down on March 1 and returned two weeks later, but was scratched from a scheduled outing Sunday due to more elbow pain.
He’s set to earn $1.75 million if he eventually makes the team, but Beimel hasn’t even been added to the 40-man roster yet and will likely stay behind at extended spring training to rehab.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8