Quote of the Day: Jonathan Papelbon

Mar 25, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Seattle Mariners Getty Images

Yesterday Jonathan Papelbon pitched in a minor league game, in which he gave up two runs to Twins’ Double-A players.  His reaction:

“This was exactly what I wanted.”

He’s referring to the fact that he got work in and was focusing on his mechanics, but it’s also worth noting that he has a 12.60 ERA this spring. At some point you’d think that getting dudes out is exactly what he wants.

(thanks to Erik for the heads up)

1. BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Crapelbon makes a dead house plant look intelligent. I think he’s beginning to channel his inner Brad Lidge (“So I have an ERA of 6.00 and get torched once a week, I’m still the closer! Yeah baby yeah!).

• uyf1950 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM

BC – have I told you that you’re my hero for the nickname?

• BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I’m honored. Thank you.

• easports82 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM

BC – still honored after reading his next comment?

• uyf1950 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM

easports – I was being sarcastic.

2. uyf1950 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Craig – What makes you think and I quote from your piece “At some point you’d think that getting dudes out is exactly what he wants.”

I didn’t think we judged pitchers any longer on traditional stats like getting players out, era or blown saves, walks or hit batters.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM

No, actually, getting guys out is pretty much the most important thing imaginable when you’re a pitcher.

• trevorb06 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Wow, that is the dumbest thing I’ve read all day. Just… wow… were you dropped on your… no… no… nevermind.

• Kevin S. - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Getting outs is incredibly important (although how those outs are gotten matters for figuring out what he’s likely to do in the future). ERA is bad because A) it’s quite common for relievers to only pitch parts of an inning, meaning they either take full or no credit for something they were only partially responsible for, and B) isolated bad innings don’t get drowned out like they do for starting pitchers.

• uyf1950 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Apparently some of you can’t tell sarcasm when you see it. Sorry if you missed my “between the lines” point.

• Ari Collins - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Yeah, granted, I’ve read too many uyf comments, but that was pretty obviously sarcastic. Even by tough-to-read-sarcasm-on-the-internet standards

• phukyouk - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM

internet really needs Sarcasm font

• BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM

But wins and saves still don’t matter, right?

• phukyouk - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Just ask King Felix.

• uyf1950 - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM

BC – my friend they may not matter to the individual player but I think they are probably somewhat important to the club. And, I’m not being sarcastic.

• spudchukar - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM

No sarcasm fonts! It would take all the fun out of it. What is next a smiley face with a tongue pushing out a cheek?

• BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM

You can use this ;-) or this :-p

3. phukyouk - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM

is it just me or is he sounding more and more like Ollie?

4. bobwsc - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM

hopefully he’s on a short leash this season, but knowing how loyal Tito is to his guys and considering how Papelbon would morph into a testicular blister if moved to a set-up role, it’s going to be more of this garbage all season coupled with blown saves galore. why is everyone in Boston ignoring the elephant in the room?

• pisano - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

He will surly be on a short leash especially if the Yankees get off to a fast start. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bard is closing at the trade deadline and Papelbum is traded by that time. Personally, I hope he stays in the closers role because the Yankees own him and Beckett. There’s nothing I enjoy more than watching both of them getting pounded by any team.

5. Ari Collins - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Results in spring not only are meaningless but also have zero correlation with regular season performance, but you do bring up an excellent point: how much are pitchers actually trying to get outs? Sure, the outs don’t matter, but aren’t they a form of practice? Or are the pitchers really still at this point in the pre-season going out there with plans like, “today I’m going to hit the outside corner with my fastball on every pitch” or “today I will try to throw every splitter off the plate, making sure none are left in the zone”. In that case, getting outs doesn’t matter at all, and would in fact be counter to the pitcher’s pre-season exercises, but at what point DO pitchers start to actually bring it all together?

6. cur68 - Mar 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I’m taking a wait and see on Papelbon. He’s been real good for a long time. If it were just a matter of age and number of pitches then Mo would be done as well and no ones really talking about that. As Ari says; this could be just him “working on stuff” for ST. End of April, if he’s still getting lit up, then I’ll be thinking he’s done. If he goes, I’ll miss him. The big ape is a real character and his goofyness combined with his natural athleticism, instincts and … well I was going to say grace, but this IS Papelbon and I can only stretch the truth so much… all that stuff make him one the best at his role and a pleasure to watch whenever he took the mound. I hope he’s still got it.

7. Utley's Hair - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Is it just me or did anybody else read that in a stereotypical leprechaun accent and have an image of Papelbon dancing a jig?

8. marshmallowsnake - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

One more year and he becomes another teams issue. I cannot wait!

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM

The guy said he was working on mechanics, and at this point you have to give him some credit for knowing what his body needs to get in shape for baseball.

The guy is a tool, but maybe not illustrated as such by this particular comment.

• spudchukar - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM

The mechanic he has been working on mostly is the neck jerk.

10. JBerardi - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Papelbon has been getting torched by minor leaguers all spring. Not good.

11. wickedworld123 - Mar 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Spring stats don’t matter. Who knows, he could’ve been using the AA game to work on a new pitch or something…pretty common for ST, try to work in a change-up or something, get hammered, then junk it once the season starts. If his velocity is OK then I’m not worried.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey