Mar 25, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: If you were frustrated about Neftali Feliz staying in the bullpen, this probably won’t make you feel any better. According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, club officials have confirmed that Alexi Ogando is now a possibility for the starting rotation. Like Feliz, Ogando was stretched out for the starting rotation this spring.
9:31 PM: We have a timetable for Tommy Hunter‘s return from a groin injury. And it’s not good.
Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com earlier today that Hunter will be sidelined for at least six weeks after an MRI confirmed a Grade 2 (or moderate) strain of his right groin.
The Rangers hope that a blood-platelet injection scheduled for Monday will help advance his recovery.
“That’s a fair range,” assistant general manager Thad Levine said. “We’ll have to update that as he responds to treatment and the injection. But that’s kind of a ballpark figure.”
Hunter suffered the injury just hours after the team announced that Neftali Feliz would remain the closer for this season. Despite the injury, the Rangers remain committed to keeping the 22-year-old right-hander in the bullpen.
According to Sullivan, Michael Kirkman and non-roster invitee Dave Bush are in the mix to replace Hunter in the starting rotation. The Rangers would probably love to keep Bush around for depth purposes, but he has the option to declare himself a free agent on Sunday.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)