Mar 25, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT
Just hours after adding some veteran rotation depth by agreeing to terms on a minor-league contract with Kevin Millwood the Yankees have traded Sergio Mitre to the Brewers, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that New York will receive outfielder Chris Dickerson, which is actually a pretty decent return for Mitre given that he’d fallen out of the mix for a rotation spot. If healthy Dickerson is a solid fourth outfielder capable of being a decent platoon starter versus right-handed pitching.
Milwaukee could look at Mitre as a starter, at least until Zack Greinke returns from the disabled list. Mitre had a 5.03 ERA in 106 innings spread over 12 starts and 27 relief appearances for the Yankees during the past two seasons, and is 13-25 with a 5.48 ERA in 64 career starts.
He profiles better as a middle reliever who can come into low-leverage situations and induce ground balls, but he’s capable of being a passable fifth starter for a while in the National League.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)