Yankees trade Sergio Mitre to Brewers for Chris Dickerson

Mar 25, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT

New York Yankees v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

Just hours after adding some veteran rotation depth by agreeing to terms on a minor-league contract with Kevin Millwood the Yankees have traded Sergio Mitre to the Brewers, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that New York will receive outfielder Chris Dickerson, which is actually a pretty decent return for Mitre given that he’d fallen out of the mix for a rotation spot. If healthy Dickerson is a solid fourth outfielder capable of being a decent platoon starter versus right-handed pitching.

Milwaukee could look at Mitre as a starter, at least until Zack Greinke returns from the disabled list. Mitre had a 5.03 ERA in 106 innings spread over 12 starts and 27 relief appearances for the Yankees during the past two seasons, and is 13-25 with a 5.48 ERA in 64 career starts.

He profiles better as a middle reliever who can come into low-leverage situations and induce ground balls, but he’s capable of being a passable fifth starter for a while in the National League.

1. aronmantoo - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM

This makes the Brewers an instant contender like Ollie did for the Nationals. What is wrong with these GM’S?

• gammagammahey - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Is there something wrong with adding potential depth with a no/low-risk deal?

2. BC - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Dickerson might be able to replace Thames. Good move by NYY – give up nothing for something.

• phukyouk - Mar 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM

dont know who that guys is. this is a no news deal but i did like Mitre at times. either way i wish him well and umm…. LESS THAN ONE WEEK!

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Well, this explains things to some degree. When this post came out with no return for the Yankees, couldn’t figure out what was happening.
      (sigh)Still have you-know-who.

• phukyouk - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Joba aint going anywhere bro… deal with it.. hes got no true value at this point. maybe he will prove valuable this season.

3. uyf1950 - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:05 PM

This is newsworthy for only one reason. That is that I guess now we know the Yankees intentions for their starting rotation CC, AJ, Hughes, Nova and Garcia with Colon being the long relief guy.
    BTW this trade actually saves the Yankees about $500,000 the difference between Mitre’s and Dickerson’s salaries. It also gives the Yankees a little outfield depth in case Granderson takes a little longer to come back then expected. Good trade off for the Yankees. Just my opinion.

• purdueman - Mar 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Hey uyf1950, since you are the undisputed King of knowing what happens to rich dead people who have multiple children do with their money when their wills are finally read, maybe you can clear something up for me…

The late actor Rock Hudson was a close personal friend of the late Elizabeth Taylor’s (in fact, it was Hudson’s premature death from alcoholism and AIDS that led Liz to start her crusade for AIDS awareness and research).

Now I don’t want to risk posting anything that I heard on the radio, because as we all now know from your flurry of posts detailing what happened to George Steinbrenner’s money today, you will start calling me all kinds of mean and nasty things for doing so, so I’ll just pose this as a couple of questions for you to answer for all of us (as this too has been a hot topic on drive time talk radio out here in LA today).

Is it true that Rock Hudson left a sizable inheritance to his long time gardener? Did he leave anything from his estate to Gomer Pyle? (Jim Nabors, Hudson’s late in live rumored lover).

If you have the time (which we all now know that you do), could you also tell me how much his estate paid in inheritance taxes and if he had any living heirs (i.e., past wives, children, aunts, uncles, nephews, etc.), who received a distribution from his will?

Thanks, Bud! You can help me settle a bet!

4. raffy7 - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Although not a major transaction, I think this is a good baseball trade for both sides. In NY, Mitre was clearly the odd man out, with Nova, Garcia and Colon locking up the 4th, 5th and long-man roles. Plus with Granderson battling injury, and maybe starting year on DL, Dickerson gives the Yanks a little depth in the outfield until Granderson returns. For Milwaukee, with Grienke and Marcum both hurt, Mitre provides a low-cost/low-risk option to eat some innings. While he won’t provide what Grienke/Marcum could, maybe his numbers will be better in the NL Central than the AL East. Good move all around.

5. spudchukar - Mar 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I guess this means the Brewers are satisfied with Brandon Boggs, and Mark Kotsay as their backup outfielders. But are they signaling Carlos Gomez is ready to assume full time playing status. As a Cards fan, I sure hope so. Dickerson is fairly talented, does a number of things well. I guess the Brewers need someone to start for a while, and with Granderson hurt it all makes sense, but I kinda think the Yanks come out on top with this move. I mean, can they be any worse with Millwood than Mitre?

6. yankeesgameday - Mar 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

what ever keeps andruw jones out of the lineup is all right by me.

• yankeesgameday - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM

look at those thumbs down… lot of Andruw Jones fans here?

7. yankeesgameday - Mar 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM

huh, get this: Chris Dickerson is Eric Dickerson’s nephew.

I am begging for him to wear the goggles in his Yankee press photo http://bit.ly/ffYXr7

8. thinman61 - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Just because Mitre wasn’t going to make the starting 5 out of camp doesn’t mean he might not be needed later in the season if, you know AJ hits the DL or something. Given the question marks in their rotation, I’m stunned that the Yanks would trade starting pitching depth for an outfielder. Did Cashman wake up this morning and take stupid pills for breakfast?

And I’m, frankly, amazed that the Yankee fan commenters here are okay with this move. As a Sox fan, I have to believe this decreases the Yankees’ chances of being up for a real pennant race in 2011. Unless y’all have way more faith in Kevin Millwood than I would in your shoes.

• Kevin S. - Mar 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Let’s just say I have more faith in Kevin Millwood than I have in Sergio Mitre. So basically, the Yanks picked up a useful fourth outfielder for free. Also, the Yankees didn’t have the option of stashing any of Colon, Garcia and Mitre in AAA, so one pretty much had to go.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4997)