Mar 25, 2011, 11:20 AM EST
Just hours after adding some veteran rotation depth by agreeing to terms on a minor-league contract with Kevin Millwood the Yankees have traded Sergio Mitre to the Brewers, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that New York will receive outfielder Chris Dickerson, which is actually a pretty decent return for Mitre given that he’d fallen out of the mix for a rotation spot. If healthy Dickerson is a solid fourth outfielder capable of being a decent platoon starter versus right-handed pitching.
Milwaukee could look at Mitre as a starter, at least until Zack Greinke returns from the disabled list. Mitre had a 5.03 ERA in 106 innings spread over 12 starts and 27 relief appearances for the Yankees during the past two seasons, and is 13-25 with a 5.48 ERA in 64 career starts.
He profiles better as a middle reliever who can come into low-leverage situations and induce ground balls, but he’s capable of being a passable fifth starter for a while in the National League.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)