Mar 25, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT
Just hours after adding some veteran rotation depth by agreeing to terms on a minor-league contract with Kevin Millwood the Yankees have traded Sergio Mitre to the Brewers, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that New York will receive outfielder Chris Dickerson, which is actually a pretty decent return for Mitre given that he’d fallen out of the mix for a rotation spot. If healthy Dickerson is a solid fourth outfielder capable of being a decent platoon starter versus right-handed pitching.
Milwaukee could look at Mitre as a starter, at least until Zack Greinke returns from the disabled list. Mitre had a 5.03 ERA in 106 innings spread over 12 starts and 27 relief appearances for the Yankees during the past two seasons, and is 13-25 with a 5.48 ERA in 64 career starts.
He profiles better as a middle reliever who can come into low-leverage situations and induce ground balls, but he’s capable of being a passable fifth starter for a while in the National League.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?