Mar 25, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal, she is done, and it’s a minor league deal as Heyman reported last night. I presume this will lead to a lot of chatter, but really, he’s not going to be a factor any time soon. He hasn’t pitched all spring and the season starts in less than a week. It’s a depth move — potentially a smart one, depending on how he looks after he’s in baseball shape — but for not it’s of little consequence.
Millwood, 36, had been holding out for a guaranteed big league roster spot, but it never came and spring training is now nearing it’s wrap-up stage.
Heyman says the contract is “incentive-laden,” meaning it is packed with around a million (or two) in performances-based bonuses. Those probably won’t click in, of course, if he’s not on the major league roster. And the Yanks are almost certain to send him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre initially.
Millwood is durable but he posted a 5.10 ERA in 31 starts last year for Baltimore, netting only four wins (if wins are your thing). We’ll call him insurance in case both Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia go down with injuries. That’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)