Mar 25, 2011, 9:46 AM EST
UPDATE: The deal, she is done, and it’s a minor league deal as Heyman reported last night. I presume this will lead to a lot of chatter, but really, he’s not going to be a factor any time soon. He hasn’t pitched all spring and the season starts in less than a week. It’s a depth move — potentially a smart one, depending on how he looks after he’s in baseball shape — but for not it’s of little consequence.
Millwood, 36, had been holding out for a guaranteed big league roster spot, but it never came and spring training is now nearing it’s wrap-up stage.
Heyman says the contract is “incentive-laden,” meaning it is packed with around a million (or two) in performances-based bonuses. Those probably won’t click in, of course, if he’s not on the major league roster. And the Yanks are almost certain to send him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre initially.
Millwood is durable but he posted a 5.10 ERA in 31 starts last year for Baltimore, netting only four wins (if wins are your thing). We’ll call him insurance in case both Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia go down with injuries. That’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)