Mar 25, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal, she is done, and it’s a minor league deal as Heyman reported last night. I presume this will lead to a lot of chatter, but really, he’s not going to be a factor any time soon. He hasn’t pitched all spring and the season starts in less than a week. It’s a depth move — potentially a smart one, depending on how he looks after he’s in baseball shape — but for not it’s of little consequence.
Millwood, 36, had been holding out for a guaranteed big league roster spot, but it never came and spring training is now nearing it’s wrap-up stage.
Heyman says the contract is “incentive-laden,” meaning it is packed with around a million (or two) in performances-based bonuses. Those probably won’t click in, of course, if he’s not on the major league roster. And the Yanks are almost certain to send him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre initially.
Millwood is durable but he posted a 5.10 ERA in 31 starts last year for Baltimore, netting only four wins (if wins are your thing). We’ll call him insurance in case both Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia go down with injuries. That’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)