Mar 26, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Carlos Beltran is done for the day. He went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts over five innings. According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, he had two chances in right field and “never had to run full throttle.”
The results really don’t matter, but we’ll just have to hear how the knee feels.
For what it’s worth, Beltran told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York following the game that the plan is for him to play five innings in a minor league game Sunday, then take Monday off and play seven innings in a Grapefruit League game Tuesday.
8:47 AM: Part of his last-ditch effort to get ready for Opening Day, Carlos Beltran is set to play five innings in a minor league game this afternoon.
The big news here is that Beltran will play right field for the first time in a competitive game this spring. He’s had little time to adjust to his new position due to a recent bout of tendinitis in his left knee.
Beltran played in a simulated game Thursday and in a minor league intersquad game yesterday, but Mets manager Terry Collins told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger that they still need to be cautious.
“Even though he’s feeling great,” Collins said, “it’s a big step forward for us to get him out there, to get him playing. We’re going to watch it.”
Barring any setbacks, the hope is that Beltran can play the final three games of the Grapefruit League schedule, beginning Monday. While it’s an aggressive timetable, it’s pretty much the only way he’ll be ready for Opening Day. Many still expect him to begin the season on the disabled list.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million