Mar 26, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
We have plenty of roster decisions pouring in from Arizona and Florida today. Here’s one of the more interesting ones.
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, 24-year-old right-hander Andrew Cashner has won the final spot in the Cubs’ starting rotation.
Carlos Silva entered spring training as the self-proclaimed favorite, but he pitched his way out of the job by putting up an ugly 10.90 ERA over 17 1/3 Cactus League innings. Cashner, on the other hand, posted a 3.97 ERA and 6/7 K/BB ratio over 11 1/3 innings.
The former 2008 first-round pick compiled a 4.80 ERA and 50/30 K/BB ratio over 54 1/3 innings out of the bullpen last season. It’s a bit surprising to see Cashner win the job outright, but he’s the future and well, Silva is not.
The Cubs ultimately decided to carry rookie right-hander Carlos Mateo in their bullpen, which means Silva won’t even make the Opening Day roster.
“I told Carlos Silva there was not a spot for him unless there’s an injury between now and Opening Day,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “We will explore trade opportunities with other clubs.”
Silva will be a tough sell since he’s due to make $11.5 million this season, a portion of which is being paid by the Mariners. According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Silva said there’s “no chance” that he’ll accept a minor league assignment. He also took a shot at new Cubs pitching coach Mark Riggins on the way out the door. Classy.
Some team will likely take a chance on Silva once he’s available at the league minimum — remember, he posted a 4.22 ERA and 80/24 K/BB ratio over 113 innings last season — but he sounds like more trouble than he’s worth right now.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)