Curtis Granderson says he’s “50-50″ for Opening Day

Mar 26, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT

Granderson_Curtis

Curtis Granderson, who suffered a strained right oblique during batting practice Tuesday, told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com this afternoon that he believes he has a “50-50″ chance of being in the lineup for Opening Day against the Tigers next Thursday.

Granderson resumed swinging a bat and throwing today while also running the bases. While he still feels some minor discomfort, he believes he might be able to play in a Grapefruit League game on Monday.

Meanwhile, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman indicated that they could wait until Wednesday’s workout at Yankee Stadium before determining if Granderson will be placed on the disabled list. As for the Grandy-Man — yeah, I went there — he doesn’t think it’s necessary.

“That would be their call,” Granderson said. “I feel like everything is fine in terms of avoiding the DL.”

If Granderson is placed retroactively on the disabled list, he could return as soon as April 6 against the Twins.

1. aburns77 - Mar 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I just hope they don’t rush him back, injuries like these are real touch and go and if he goes back too soon I can see this becoming a lingering problem that will hurt him all year. i’m fine with Jones in CF or moving Gardner to center in Jones in LF for a week or so if it means Granderson comes back full strength.

2. purdueman - Mar 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Granderson, Andruw Jones, Fatolo Colon, Freddie Garcia, Kevin Millwood and goofball Nick Swisher (regardless of his stats on paper), are all the faces of the “new look” (and on the cheap), Yankees under the new reign of Hank and Hal Steinbrenner.

You think that ANY of these guys would have been on a Yankee roster during the Yankees run in the ’90′s under King George? Ha! Only Granderson would have been considered, but only as a backup 4th or 5th outfielder.

The souflee’ that has been the Championship Yankees is about to flop flat, and old Georgie Porgy is likely turning over in his grave right about now! Carlos Silva… come on down! The Yankees need you!!! (LOL!)

• Ari Collins - Mar 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Jim Leyritz
      Joe Girardi
      Shane Spencer
      Chuck Knoblauch (I know I’m butchering that one, can’t remember it or be arsed to look it up
      Scott Brosius most years
      Wade Boggs (post being any good)
      Gerald Williams
      Ruben Sierra

I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting. And those are just the lackluster hitters.

It’s actually a thing of the last decade to try to have an all-star at every position.

• Ari Collins - Mar 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Haha, apparently that IS how you spell Chuck’s name. It just looks wrong.

• AK47 - Mar 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Granderson a 4th or 5th outfielder? What are you drinkin’/smokin’ tonight man? I know Granderson has had some troubles staying healthy, but he’s at least as good as Bernie Williams, Paul O’Neill, Darryl Strawberry, etc when he is healthy. And how can you hate on Swish, that guy has been one of the Yankees most valuable players the past couple of seasons. Wait…I’m a Twins fan, what the hell am I doing?

• marinersnate - Mar 27, 2011 at 12:59 AM

“Well played Mauer”.

3. purdueman - Mar 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM

uyfy… thanks for the fast reply on the details of just departed former VP candidate Geraldine Ferraro’s will and estate tax situation! It was very generous of her to have left such a nice stipend in her will for her housekeeper!

Make the world a better place; punch cur68 in the face!

• marinersnate - Mar 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Have you considered medication for your problems?

• AK47 - Mar 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM

purdueman, your comments suck.

4. fanoredsox - Mar 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I am a Red Sox fan and naturally hate anything Yankees,but I do like Granderson. He seems to be a class act and he plays really hard. At this time of the year, these injuries should be treated with care. The season is a marathon not a sprint. If you rush too quickly this type of injury could nag you for the whole season or worse cause something that could be season ending. I would rather see a Sox and “Skankies” game that includes of their players (these teams have the best in the league) than what we saw last year with replacements. It’s not the same thing.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4092)