Mar 26, 2011, 4:32 PM EST
You know things are looking pretty good for your team when one of the biggest stories in camp is whether Dennys Reyes will make the Opening Day roster, but here we are.
Terry Francona told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald earlier this afternoon that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of Reyes. This confirms a report by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox placed Junichi Tazawa on the 60-day disabled list in order to clear space on the 40-man.
Reyes, who signed a minor league deal in early February, agreed to extend the out-clause in his contract until the end of the day today. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.00 ERA and an 8/4 K/BB ratio over nine innings this spring. He posted a 3.55 ERA and 25/21 K/BB ratio over 38 innings with the Cardinals last season and has held left-handed batters to a .238/.332/.337 batting line for his career.
Just because the Red Sox put Reyes on the 40-man doesn’t mean he’s officially made the Opening Day roster, but assuming he does, that means Alfredo Aceves, Hideki Okajima and Matt Albers are competing for the final bullpen spot.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)