Mar 26, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
You know things are looking pretty good for your team when one of the biggest stories in camp is whether Dennys Reyes will make the Opening Day roster, but here we are.
Terry Francona told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald earlier this afternoon that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of Reyes. This confirms a report by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox placed Junichi Tazawa on the 60-day disabled list in order to clear space on the 40-man.
Reyes, who signed a minor league deal in early February, agreed to extend the out-clause in his contract until the end of the day today. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.00 ERA and an 8/4 K/BB ratio over nine innings this spring. He posted a 3.55 ERA and 25/21 K/BB ratio over 38 innings with the Cardinals last season and has held left-handed batters to a .238/.332/.337 batting line for his career.
Just because the Red Sox put Reyes on the 40-man doesn’t mean he’s officially made the Opening Day roster, but assuming he does, that means Alfredo Aceves, Hideki Okajima and Matt Albers are competing for the final bullpen spot.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)