Mar 26, 2011, 4:32 PM EST
You know things are looking pretty good for your team when one of the biggest stories in camp is whether Dennys Reyes will make the Opening Day roster, but here we are.
Terry Francona told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald earlier this afternoon that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of Reyes. This confirms a report by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox placed Junichi Tazawa on the 60-day disabled list in order to clear space on the 40-man.
Reyes, who signed a minor league deal in early February, agreed to extend the out-clause in his contract until the end of the day today. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.00 ERA and an 8/4 K/BB ratio over nine innings this spring. He posted a 3.55 ERA and 25/21 K/BB ratio over 38 innings with the Cardinals last season and has held left-handed batters to a .238/.332/.337 batting line for his career.
Just because the Red Sox put Reyes on the 40-man doesn’t mean he’s officially made the Opening Day roster, but assuming he does, that means Alfredo Aceves, Hideki Okajima and Matt Albers are competing for the final bullpen spot.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 44
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 8
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 25
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)