Mar 26, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
You know things are looking pretty good for your team when one of the biggest stories in camp is whether Dennys Reyes will make the Opening Day roster, but here we are.
Terry Francona told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald earlier this afternoon that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of Reyes. This confirms a report by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox placed Junichi Tazawa on the 60-day disabled list in order to clear space on the 40-man.
Reyes, who signed a minor league deal in early February, agreed to extend the out-clause in his contract until the end of the day today. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.00 ERA and an 8/4 K/BB ratio over nine innings this spring. He posted a 3.55 ERA and 25/21 K/BB ratio over 38 innings with the Cardinals last season and has held left-handed batters to a .238/.332/.337 batting line for his career.
Just because the Red Sox put Reyes on the 40-man doesn’t mean he’s officially made the Opening Day roster, but assuming he does, that means Alfredo Aceves, Hideki Okajima and Matt Albers are competing for the final bullpen spot.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)