Red Sox add Dennys Reyes to 40-man roster

Mar 26, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT

dennys-reyes-cardinals Getty Images

You know things are looking pretty good for your team when one of the biggest stories in camp is whether Dennys Reyes will make the Opening Day roster, but here we are.

Terry Francona told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald earlier this afternoon that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of Reyes. This confirms a report by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox placed Junichi Tazawa on the 60-day disabled list in order to clear space on the 40-man.

Reyes, who signed a minor league deal in early February, agreed to extend the out-clause in his contract until the end of the day today. The 33-year-old southpaw has a 3.00 ERA and an 8/4 K/BB ratio over nine innings this spring. He posted a 3.55 ERA and 25/21 K/BB ratio over 38 innings with the Cardinals last season and has held left-handed batters to a .238/.332/.337 batting line for his career.

Just because the Red Sox put Reyes on the 40-man doesn’t mean he’s officially made the Opening Day roster, but assuming he does, that means Alfredo Aceves, Hideki Okajima and Matt Albers are competing for the final bullpen spot.

1. bobwsc - Mar 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

El Guapo, part deux

• wendell7 - Mar 28, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Ha, I have been thinking the same thing !

• bobwsc - Mar 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I read where someone referred to him as “the Big Sweat.” looks like crisco pours from his pores.

2. uyf1950 - Mar 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Well he certainly is well traveled 12 teams I believe in 14 major league seasons (13 in 15 season including 2011 now). The main question I see here is. Is he in the best shape of his life?

• pisano - Mar 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I wouldn’t make book on it my friend, he looks like he’s at top weight. Isn’t it funny that all’s quiet on this signing? If the Yankees would have signed him they would be hearing what a bad move they made. “I’m just sayin”

• uyf1950 - Mar 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM

You got that right. I guess I would say the Yankees are held to a higher standard…and may be they should be as the best of all time. Still the Yankees keep proving their critics wrong and I’m sure 2011 won’t be any different. Keep the faith my friend. The regular season is just around the corner.

3. proudlycanadian - Mar 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM

He didn’t look very good against the Jays yesterday; on the other hand, Beckett looked worse.

• pisano - Mar 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM

proudlycanadian, I have a feeling Bostons pitching is a little suspect, after Lester and Bucholz it’s basically a crap shoot, but thanks for the 411.

• Jack Marshall - Mar 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM

And the Yankees would take that “crap shoot” for their current 3-5 in a New York minute. If the Sox started a season with a back end like that, the fans and sportswriters would have them picked for 4th. Yeah, there’s a double-standard all right.—everyone assumes NY has an outstanding team no matter how many holes there are.

• uyf1950 - Mar 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM

To Jack Marshall – Don’t know how many Yankee Fans you know but I can tell you all the ones I know wouldn’t trade a Big Mac Value Meal never mind any of the Yankee staff for Beckett and Dice K. For Lackey may be they would be willing to give up Igawa. I would have said Mitre but the Yankees already let him go for a 4th/5th outfielder. You’re living in denial if you think those 3 are going to be instrumental in getting the Red Sox to the promised land.

• thinman61 - Mar 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Keep telling yourself that, UYF. Maybe you’ll even start to believe it after a while. I would take Beckett, Lackey and Dice-K in a NY minute over Hughes’ 87 mph fastball, Burnett’s love affair with the DL, Ivan Nova, and Freddy Garcia.

• nyyankeefanforever - Mar 26, 2011 at 9:49 PM

@uyf1950 Well said, but as a Yankee fan I’d like to personally respond to jackmarshall and thinman on behalf of all the Yankee fans I know.

@jackmarshall The reason everyone (but you, apparently) assumes NY has an outstanding team is because last season they led MLB in scoring runs, led the AL (along with the Rays) in fewest errors, have the best bullpen, came within two games of consecutive Series appearances last season after winning it all just two seasons ago. and have been to the playoffs every season but one over the last decade and a half.

@thinman Hughes + Garcia = 30 wins last season. Beckett (the DL Queen) + Dice-K = 15 wins last season.

As for AJ and Lackey, I don;t know if oddsmakers handicap such things, but I’d feel pretty comfortable betting on Burnett’s chances of improving on his 10 wins last season over Lackey repeating his 14 wins.

• nyyankeefanforever - Mar 26, 2011 at 9:49 PM

As for AJ and Lackey, I don’t know if oddsmakers handicap such things, but I’d feel pretty comfortable betting on Burnett’s chances of improving on his 10 wins last season over Lackey repeating his 14 wins.

• cur68 - Mar 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM

nyyankeefanforever; I think AJ will rebound. I say this with the up front disclaimer that I’m not a Yankees fan and, since my team plays in the same division, I don’t really want your # 2 guy having a good year. The trouble is I’ve watched this guy pitch a lot for the Jays and so long as you keep him away from a noodle armed catcher and he gets to use his secondary pitches, he can be really good. If he’s lucky his manager, a former catcher, will give him a good catcher. Then you’ll see this guy perform. Still hoping he gets beat by the Jays every time, though. T minus 5 days…

• uyf1950 - Mar 27, 2011 at 8:21 AM

To thinman61 – I’m not the one that keeps telling myself how good the back end of my teams rotation is. If you read most of the post it’s Red Sox fans that keep up the pretense of their teams pitching staff. It’s Red Sox fans that keep talking about how good Beckett, Dice K, etc… were in the past. Dice K has had one good year in the 4 he has been a Red Sox. Beckett has had 1 good year in the last 3. As for Lackey I would know how to classify him other then to say average with the exception of again 1 year. Buchholz is inexperienced and has pitched admittedly well but only for 1 season. Lester is the only pitcher that as pitched consistently. That’s hardly a rotation Red Sox fans should hang their post season hopes on never mind brag about. It’s not Yankee fans and certainly not me that’s living in denial. I know everyone says spring training stats don’t mean anything and they all may very well be right. But in my book losing 9 games straight and allowing 78 runs during that span even for spring training can’t be a positive sign. That’s exactly what the Red Sox have done the last 9 games.

4. cur68 - Mar 26, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I hope it’s Okajima for the final spot. I always liked the way he’s never looking when he releases the ball. How he does that is a thing of mystery to me.

• Ari Collins - Mar 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Yeah, Okajima wasn’t very good last year, but he’s still entertaining to watch.

5. beantownsports247 - Mar 27, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Plain and simple , Red Sox offense > Yankees offense . Red Sox pitchers > Yankee pitchers . Enjoy ^_^

• bobwsc - Mar 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM

hate to admit this but Soriano setting up for Mo is unstoppable. I think the Sox will stick with Papelbon for too long and it will turn into another handful of blown saves. granted the Yanks starters after CC are suspect, but the Sox have an issue with Beckett and lesser issues with Lackey and Dice-K, but issues nonetheless. the Sox pitching could be a little effed.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3145)