Mar 26, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
This arrangement has been assumed for a few days now, but the Yankees just made it official.
Colon made a pretty solid case for the rotation by posting a 2.40 ERA and 17/1 K/BB ratio over 15 innings this spring, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger that he wants to use the veteran right-hander much like he did Alfredo Aceves in 2009. Aceves posted a 3.54 ERA and 69/19 K/BB ratio over 84 innings that season in a long relief role.
If yesterday’s Kevin Millwood signing tells us anything, it’s that the Yankees just want bodies. Maybe one of them will work out. Maybe all of them will flame out in epic fashion. Baseball is a funny game sometimes, so who really knows? The Bombers are just trying to stay afloat long enough until they can acquire someone before the trade deadline. And you know they will.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)