Mar 27, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT
The A’s have set their season-opening starting rotation and former top prospect Brandon McCarthy is going to get a shot.
McCarthy, 27, did not make a start in the major leagues last year due to a stress fracture in his right shoulder blade, but he has struck out 20 batters and issued only one walk across 26 stellar Cactus League innings this spring.
“He’s got some previous experience and had a great spring,” Oakland manager Bob Geren said Saturday. “It wasn’t an easy decision, and I’m happy it wasn’t. That means guys are throwing the ball well.”
Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez and Dallas Braden will fill out the top of an impressive Oakland rotation. With that spacious ballpark and with these talented arms, the A’s are primed for a breakout.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 100
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 158
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)