Athletics name Brandon McCarthy their fifth starter

Mar 27, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT

mccarthy as Getty Images

The A’s have set their season-opening starting rotation and former top prospect Brandon McCarthy is going to get a shot.

From Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News comes word that the Athletics have made McCarty their No. 5 starter over the younger and arguably more talented Tyson Ross.

McCarthy, 27, did not make a start in the major leagues last year due to a stress fracture in his right shoulder blade, but he has struck out 20 batters and issued only one walk across 26 stellar Cactus League innings this spring.

“He’s got some previous experience and had a great spring,” Oakland manager Bob Geren said Saturday. “It wasn’t an easy decision, and I’m happy it wasn’t. That means guys are throwing the ball well.”

Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez and Dallas Braden will fill out the top of an impressive Oakland rotation. With that spacious ballpark and with these talented arms, the A’s are primed for a breakout.

1. cur68 - Mar 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Every chance the A’s will be great this year. It’ll be nice seeing some competition from out west. I’m tired of that division sucking.

2. apbaguy - Mar 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Tyson Ross threw really well this season. As injury prone as the A’s are, he should get some starts in addition to long relief as the season wears on.

3. apbaguy - Mar 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Should have said “threw really well this pre-season”

4. dwishinsky - Mar 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I think McCarthy is going to have a good year. Key is staying healthy, but in the past he has been a disappointment. I think this is the year he turns the corner, a true late-bloomer, and a fuller pitcher who doesn’t just throw pitches by people anymore. Go A’s!

5. purdueman - Mar 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM

While I wish Brandon well this season (sincerely), every time I hear his name I just have to chuckle as to how White Sox GM Kenny Williams was able able to flip him for stud starter John Danks! Was Texas pansed? Absolutely, but fleeced is a actual a better way to put it!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet