Mar 28, 2011, 1:13 PM EST
Adam LaRoche was initially expected to miss a few days with some shoulder soreness, but an MRI exam revealed that he has a slightly torn left labrum.
However, he plans to continue playing through the injury and is expected to be in the Opening Day lineup at first base, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
LaRoche, who joined the Nationals as a free agent on a two-year, $16 million deal, has apparently been dealing with the injury for most of spring training and played nearly every day for three straight weeks after taking some early time off.
At the very least the labrum tear will hurt his ability to make throws defensively and surgery looms as a possibility if the tear gets worse.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)