Mar 28, 2011, 7:01 PM EST
The Orioles were given quite the scare this afternoon.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Brian Matusz was getting some work in during a simulated game when he was hit in the left biceps by a comebacker. Matusz was able to escape serious injury — in fact, the Orioles aren’t even sending him for X-rays — but he was only able to throw 29 pitches, which casts some doubt on his availability for Saturday against the Rays.
“I’m optimistic. I don’t even think it is going to set me back at all. If anything, I’m upset about not continuing to get my work in. I was starting to feel good. I was starting to get in a good groove. I wanted to get in a little more work. We’ll see how it feels tomorrow and just go from there. That’s pretty much all you can do.”
This has been an eventful spring for the 24-year-old left-hander. He had a wart removed from his left middle finger earlier this month and was knocked out of his final Grapefruit League start last Wednesday after recording just four outs. The furthest he has pitched into a game this spring is just 4 2/3 innings.
Of course, this will all be rendered meaningless when he tosses six shutout innings on Saturday or something. No, I’m not anxious for the season to start or anything.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)