Mar 28, 2011, 7:01 PM EST
The Orioles were given quite the scare this afternoon.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Brian Matusz was getting some work in during a simulated game when he was hit in the left biceps by a comebacker. Matusz was able to escape serious injury — in fact, the Orioles aren’t even sending him for X-rays — but he was only able to throw 29 pitches, which casts some doubt on his availability for Saturday against the Rays.
“I’m optimistic. I don’t even think it is going to set me back at all. If anything, I’m upset about not continuing to get my work in. I was starting to feel good. I was starting to get in a good groove. I wanted to get in a little more work. We’ll see how it feels tomorrow and just go from there. That’s pretty much all you can do.”
This has been an eventful spring for the 24-year-old left-hander. He had a wart removed from his left middle finger earlier this month and was knocked out of his final Grapefruit League start last Wednesday after recording just four outs. The furthest he has pitched into a game this spring is just 4 2/3 innings.
Of course, this will all be rendered meaningless when he tosses six shutout innings on Saturday or something. No, I’m not anxious for the season to start or anything.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)