Mar 28, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
The Orioles were given quite the scare this afternoon.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Brian Matusz was getting some work in during a simulated game when he was hit in the left biceps by a comebacker. Matusz was able to escape serious injury — in fact, the Orioles aren’t even sending him for X-rays — but he was only able to throw 29 pitches, which casts some doubt on his availability for Saturday against the Rays.
“I’m optimistic. I don’t even think it is going to set me back at all. If anything, I’m upset about not continuing to get my work in. I was starting to feel good. I was starting to get in a good groove. I wanted to get in a little more work. We’ll see how it feels tomorrow and just go from there. That’s pretty much all you can do.”
This has been an eventful spring for the 24-year-old left-hander. He had a wart removed from his left middle finger earlier this month and was knocked out of his final Grapefruit League start last Wednesday after recording just four outs. The furthest he has pitched into a game this spring is just 4 2/3 innings.
Of course, this will all be rendered meaningless when he tosses six shutout innings on Saturday or something. No, I’m not anxious for the season to start or anything.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)