Chase Utley hopes to be back before the All-Star break

Mar 28, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies second baseman Utley walks across the field after taking batting practice before a spring training game against the Baltimore Orioles

According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Chase Utley spoke with reporters earlier this morning and said that he has made some progress with his ailing right knee. Specifically, he has begun to take some “light ground balls” over the past few days.

It doesn’t sound like much, but Utley said he is optimistic about avoiding surgery and getting back on the field at some point this season.

While Utley refused to offer a specific timetable for his return, he confirmed that one of his goals would be to play before the All-Star break. For what it’s worth, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. later added that they have no plans to place Utley on the 60-day disabled list, which at least opens the door for a return in the early part of the season.

Zolecki has the whole conversation over at his blog, so it’s worth checking out if you have the time, but this is my favorite part.

Q: Who is the specialist you saw? And how many have you seen?
A: If I tell you I have to kill you.

Q: What’s the big secret?
A: I don’t know. You guys know me by now, right?

This whole process has been clouded in such secrecy that I wouldn’t be surprised to see Utley blast a couple homers dressed as Green Man on Opening Day.

1. Utley's Hair - Mar 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Hey, maybe they should Tase him to see if that works. Early on in his career, Oswalt’s effed up shoulder was all fixed after he touched a live spark plug.

• macjacmccoy - Mar 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM

maybe, they said they were gonna exhaust all opitions before surgery

2. ame123 - Mar 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I’m predicting Mid-May.

• chadjones27 - Mar 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I applaud your optimism. He’ll be shut down for the 60 day DL as a minimum. Get used to hearing this, “Now batting, second baseman, Luis Castillo.” That was painful just typing it. I need a manhattan now.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM

The Phillies are beginning to look just like my 2011 fantasy team: superstar pitching with very little hitting.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Hey guys, Heyward drafted the Phightins as his fantasy team!!!!!! See, I knew he’d come around to the light. Now, about that unnatural American Pie fetish of his…

• tigertigerwoodsyall - Mar 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM

same here

4. spudchukar - Mar 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Hey, a new name for the Phillies; The Aces and their Bandages.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5371)