Mar 28, 2011, 12:35 PM EDT
You never know who you might run into in the HardballTalk comments section. Last week Curt Flood’s son stopped by to respond to an article about his dad and now it sure seems like a member of Colby Rasmus‘ family is hanging out and arguing about stuff.
Someone using the screen name “trasmus3″ has made a series of comments dating back to last week and continuing until just minutes ago. For whatever reason I initially assumed it was Rasmus’ brother, but then I remembered that Rasmus’ dad, Tony Rasmus, made headlines in the past for posting stuff on Cardinals-related blogs and message boards.
Here’s the exchange “trasmus3″ has been having with a commenter named “spudchukar” in my post from last week naming Rasmus as one of my “breakout picks” for 2011:
spudchukar: Since he is a Georgia boy, and there have been rumors of him being interested in playing for the Braves, what would you think of a Rasmus/Heyward deal?
trasmus3: He is not a Georgia boy. He is from Alabama. Always has been. Always will be. His brother plays on the Braves farm team.
trasmus3: But his brother is from Alabama too. lol
spudchukar: According to Wikipedia, UPI, MLB, Baseball-Reference, Bing, and ESPN, Colby Rasmus was born in Columbus, GA
trasmus3: Well, according to his mom, his dad, his grandad, his grandmom, his high school (In Alabama), his 1998 little league world series record, his 3 brothers he is an Alabama boy/man. Maybe that is a bit of the problem in the US. People have a tendancy to believe the media and anybody else that makes a post that is inaccurate. Being born across the river in Columbus does not make u a Georgia boy. Where you live probably has more depth to the statement and definately if his momma says he is an Alabama boy that ends the discussion. lol
LOL, indeed. In addition to arguing about where Rasmus is from, our hero “trasmus3″ also had a couple other exchanges. For instance, here’s his response to someone comparing Rasmus to “overpaid J.D. Drew“:
It sure would be nice if he would get overpayed. At the moment he definately is not.
And here’s his response to someone saying “I’d like to see him mature and realize his potential”:
Every year every male matures a bit. Then before you know it, we catch up to the females.
As someone who had to block the IP address on his mother’s computer to keep her from commenting on his blog constantly, I find this whole thing incredibly amusing. I love it all, from the place of birth arguments and wisdom about women to the misspellings and frequent use of “LOL.” Please don’t leave, “trasmus3″!
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 41
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 78
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)