Colby Rasmus’ family members are hanging out in the HBT comments, arguing about stuff

Mar 28, 2011, 12:35 PM EDT

rasmus_colby

You never know who you might run into in the HardballTalk comments section. Last week Curt Flood’s son stopped by to respond to an article about his dad and now it sure seems like a member of Colby Rasmus‘ family is hanging out and arguing about stuff.

Someone using the screen name “trasmus3″ has made a series of comments dating back to last week and continuing until just minutes ago. For whatever reason I initially assumed it was Rasmus’ brother, but then I remembered that Rasmus’ dad, Tony Rasmus, made headlines in the past for posting stuff on Cardinals-related blogs and message boards.

Here’s the exchange “trasmus3″ has been having with a commenter named “spudchukar” in my post from last week naming Rasmus as one of my “breakout picks” for 2011:

spudchukar: Since he is a Georgia boy, and there have been rumors of him being interested in playing for the Braves, what would you think of a Rasmus/Heyward deal?

trasmus3: He is not a Georgia boy. He is from Alabama. Always has been. Always will be. His brother plays on the Braves farm team.

trasmus3: But his brother is from Alabama too. lol

spudchukar: According to Wikipedia, UPI, MLB, Baseball-Reference, Bing, and ESPN, Colby Rasmus was born in Columbus, GA

trasmus3: Well, according to his mom, his dad, his grandad, his grandmom, his high school (In Alabama), his 1998 little league world series record, his 3 brothers he is an Alabama boy/man. Maybe that is a bit of the problem in the US. People have a tendancy to believe the media and anybody else that makes a post that is inaccurate. Being born across the river in Columbus does not make u a Georgia boy. Where you live probably has more depth to the statement and definately if his momma says he is an Alabama boy that ends the discussion. lol

LOL, indeed. In addition to arguing about where Rasmus is from, our hero “trasmus3″ also had a couple other exchanges. For instance, here’s his response to someone comparing Rasmus to “overpaid J.D. Drew“:

It sure would be nice if he would get overpayed. At the moment he definately is not.

And here’s his response to someone saying “I’d like to see him mature and realize his potential”:

Every year every male matures a bit. Then before you know it, we catch up to the females.

As someone who had to block the IP address on his mother’s computer to keep her from commenting on his blog constantly, I find this whole thing incredibly amusing. I love it all, from the place of birth arguments and wisdom about women to the misspellings and frequent use of “LOL.” Please don’t leave, “trasmus3″!

1. macjacmccoy - Mar 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Well I hope your both right I got Colby on like 4 of my fantasy teams.

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Aaron, really? Moms, You literally “HAVE” to love them.

I like Colby Rasmus myself, and I lay alot of the blame for the issues of last season at the feet of LaRussa. He’s not a good person as far as I can tell. The Cards are underperformers imo, and I blame LaRussa for this too. He’s a big poopy pants.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

“big poopy pants” eh? Brutal man, just brutal. Hugo Chavez’s insults now seem tame to me

• mcsnide - Mar 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM

He’s merely quoting Jack Clark: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/17/jack-clark-says-the-cardinals-are-quitters-and-have-poopy-in-their-pants/.

3. cintiphil - Mar 28, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Well, it seems that we have a real detective in the crowd. I guess Gleeman figured it out. But the real question is this. Who cares? This is the biggest non story in the recent past. If true, then it seems that trasmus3 is the real nut. Why blog with your real name which can be easliy identified to you (if true)?

• drunkenhooliganism - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Maybe he doesn’t like people putting words in his son’s mouth. like that he’s a georgia boy and wants to play for the braves. It makes Colby look like he doesn’t want to play for the cardinals, and that doesn’t look good.

Personally, I’d like to ask Mr. Rasmus where he stands on the Tony LaRussa is a big poopy pants debate.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I’d bet a pay check he firmly stands with the “pro poopy pants crowd”.

• trasmus3 - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I’v been out of the poopy pants league for a few years now so I can’t comment with any authority on this area. I really do enjoy the humor in the blogosphere as long as it does not get hurtful or disrespectful. I wouldn’t mind him playing for the Braves if he could play with Cory. I think that would be really interesting. My preference though is the Yankee’s. I bet his salary would be higher then. lol

• cintiphil - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I think that for a high school baseball coach to be advising the pros on any team (even the Pirates) how to play their game is not only pretentious, but stupid. If he is so good, why didn’t he make it to the bigs? Not only that, but he is doing his son a huge disfavor by filling he head with information contrary to the advice of expert hitters and fielders on a pro baseball team. Why do that? It is stupid. Tell you son how to bat when he is in the little league, not the bigs. There are people better prepared to do that than you. Not just that, but can you imagine getting tips from two sides with contrary advice? He probably didn’t know whether to sh– or go blind. No wonder his performance suffered at the end of the season! I can tell you that we profited in Cincinnati from that.

• trasmus3 - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I didn’t realize that the new direction of blogging was one of secrecy? I though if you wanted to make a comment you were somewhat proud of your name and thought your comment could contribute something to the discussion. Truth, humor, intelligence, wisdom, the knowledge that you ain’t the best speller in this section of the woods and you better use the spell check a little more often. I’ll have to give that comment more thought. Maybe Raz a ma taz, Raztus, Something new or provocative?

4. trevorb06 - Mar 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I for one know I’d never admit to being from Alabama. :-) Luckily I’m not.

• trasmus3 - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Then you probably don’t have big testicles. That would be a musical quote from AC-DC.

5. randomdigits - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Adam Jones’ mother has also made an appearence.

6. heyblueyoustink - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM

His uncle happens to be a customer of mine…..Colby was born in columbus but grew up in Phenix City right across the bridge…..and there’s no doubting he’s an Alabama boy I have been sternly informed…..

7. bobulated - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

So is trasmus3 saying since he’s really from Bama he’d rather play for the Barons than the Braves?

8. tomemos - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I love “He’s from Alabama. Always has been, always will be.” The second sentence sounds hardcore until you realize that no one could ever say, “Well, I used to be from Alabama, but now I’m from Rhode Island.”

Reminiscent of the great line from 40-Year-Old Virgin: “I’m a virgin. Have been all my life.”

9. spudchukar - Mar 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I dunno, I guess 3trasmus and I have a different interpretation of the word “always”.

• minnesconsin - Mar 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

that fact that you’re still arguing the point is almost as pathetic as colby rasmus’s dad patrolling the HBT comments section. It’s not that uncommon to be born in a state you’ve never lived in.

• Alex K - Mar 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Correct. I was born in Kentucky, but never lived there. Does that mean I’m from Kentucky? Nope. All Indiana, here.

• trasmus3 - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I lean toward Willie Nelson’s interpretation.

10. minnesconsin - Mar 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I’d like to think this is why I’m not famous. Sure, I could’ve been, easily — but I made the choice to live in obscurity so my parents couldn’t embarrass me my bragging about me and living vicariously through me in the comments sections of sports blogs.

• trasmus3 - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:37 AM

This is living vicariously? I haven’t started bragging yet. Darn, I though this was another section of facebook. Actually it is a heck of a lot more fun than facebook. I never thought in my wildest dreams that an innocuous comment would give me my 15 minutes of fame.

11. jwbiii - Mar 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Ok, raise your hands. How many of you were born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus rolling down highway 41?

12. elmaquino - Mar 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM

the same trasmus3 commentent on something I wrote that same day:

13. okwhitefalcon - Mar 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I was the comparing him to JD Drew, freakin’ hysterical.

Bright siding it I suppose, at least JD’s family didn’t post commenting on the comparison…

• drunkenhooliganism - Mar 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

there’s no wifi in hell

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3924)