Mar 28, 2011, 5:30 AM EDT
Forget college basketball. This is the week that the baseball season begins. Everything else is beside the point.
- Russell Branyan made the Dbacks’ roster. He hit the crap out of baseballs this spring. He’s done that fairly often in his career, actually, though never in quite the way people like, leading to him never really having a solid job. Just an oddball career for the guy. One of God’s own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
- Bronson Arroyo has mono. No, not that mono. The sucky one.
- Ivan Nova and Freddy Garcia get the last two Yankees’ rotation spots. Wish I could have made bets with Yankees fans last November that, at some point in 2011, there would be a Freddy Garcia-Gustavo Molina battery pitching for New York.
- Clint Barmes broke his hand. Oh, deer.
- Mike Hampton retired. Now he will have the freedom to enroll his children in the best school district he can find anywhere in the country without the need for it to be near a Major League Baseball team.
- Good news: Zack Greinke, who recently suffered broken ribs, is playing catch again. Bad news: He’s just checking the ball in, ready to drive it hard to the hoop against a bunch of big guys who are all elbows.
- The Nyjer Morgan trade that was first rumored then denied actually happened. I’m going to pretend that Milwaukee never actually considered the trade until Ken Rosenthal tweeted about it, then they thought “hey, that Rosenthal had a good idea” and only then did they decide to pursue it.
- The Cubs released Carlos Silva. Milton Bradley is still playing for the Mariners. Ergo, the Cubs win. No, that’s not a mistake.
- Terry Francona was less-than-pleased at Buck Showalter’s comments in a recent interview. This marks the first time anyone with the Red Sox paid attention to anything related to the Orioles since 1996.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 222
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld