Mar 28, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
In addition to the Twins setting their 25-man roster yesterday manager Ron Gardenhire also made it all but official that Joe Nathan will reclaim his closer job after sitting out last season following Tommy John elbow surgery.
Here’s what Gardenhire said during a radio interview on 1500-ESPN:
I would imagine we’ll start out probably something like that. We like what he’s doing. I think the big thing is to see how he does early in the season and go from there. We’re going to use them both right away. I just don’t think Nathan is ready to go three-four days in a row.
At no point did Nathan report any physical problems and he allowed zero runs in six of eight appearances, but an ugly outing last week caused him to end the spring with a bloated 11.05 ERA overall and his velocity is still lagging behind where it was pre-surgery. Ultimately though, unless the Twins were going to start Nathan off in a low-leverage role or on the disabled list there isn’t a huge difference between pitching the eighth inning and pitching the ninth inning.
In most tight games the closer and primary setup man are both going to make an appearance anyway and both roles almost always involve starting an inning fresh and being asked to get three outs, so if the Twins believe Nathan is ready for a late-inning role they might as well just give him ninth-inning duties. Whether he’s actually ready for a late-inning role is up for debate, of course, and plenty of people who watched him in Fort Myers were skeptical.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)