Mar 28, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT
Last week the Rangers announced that both Neftali Feliz and Alexi Ogando would be remaining in the bullpen despite trying out for the rotation this spring, but with Tommy Hunter likely to miss at least six weeks with a groin injury and Brandon Webb nowhere close to contributing they’ve decided to make Ogando a starter after all.
I’m still of the opinion that they should have just given Feliz a chance to show he’s a top-of-the-rotation guy and what’s interesting about their willingness to let Ogando but not Feliz start is that Ogando wasn’t even a starter in the minors.
Feliz was a starter through his first three-and-a-half pro seasons and ranked as a top prospect on the basis of his future as a starter, whereas Ogando has started a grand total of three professional games
As with all young pitchers it makes sense to see if they can capably fill a 200-inning role before locking them into a 70-inning role, but if the Rangers are willing to do that with Ogando why not just do it with Feliz? After all, Feliz has far more starting experience and subtracting Ogando from the bullpen is a significant blow as well after he posted a 1.30 ERA and 39/16 K/BB ratio in 42 innings as a rookie.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 15
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 36
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)