Mar 28, 2011, 4:26 PM EST
Last week the Rangers announced that both Neftali Feliz and Alexi Ogando would be remaining in the bullpen despite trying out for the rotation this spring, but with Tommy Hunter likely to miss at least six weeks with a groin injury and Brandon Webb nowhere close to contributing they’ve decided to make Ogando a starter after all.
I’m still of the opinion that they should have just given Feliz a chance to show he’s a top-of-the-rotation guy and what’s interesting about their willingness to let Ogando but not Feliz start is that Ogando wasn’t even a starter in the minors.
Feliz was a starter through his first three-and-a-half pro seasons and ranked as a top prospect on the basis of his future as a starter, whereas Ogando has started a grand total of three professional games
As with all young pitchers it makes sense to see if they can capably fill a 200-inning role before locking them into a 70-inning role, but if the Rangers are willing to do that with Ogando why not just do it with Feliz? After all, Feliz has far more starting experience and subtracting Ogando from the bullpen is a significant blow as well after he posted a 1.30 ERA and 39/16 K/BB ratio in 42 innings as a rookie.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (84)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)