Mar 28, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
You may have heard that the Cubs released Carlos Silva. You may have also heard that — before he was released but after he was told that he wasn’t making the rotation — Silva ripped the Cubs in general and Cubs’ pitching coach Mark Riggins in particular over the way it was all handled.
Whatever, Silva. I mean, we can debate whether or not the Cubs handled this the right way — David Brown makes a good point or two about the Cubs’ decorum in delivering the news to Silva — but I think GM Jim Hendry pretty much nailed it in his comments after the release:
“Basically, he wasn’t good enough to make the team. We try to factor in not only spring training, but the second half of last year. You’re looking at a guy who had a 14-something ERA from July 11 on, and came to camp with the notion that he already had a spot in the rotation … Obviously, we’re dealing with a man who at this particular point of his career is not willing to face the facts that what he’s done the last few years, except for a two-month period (last year), is well below major league standards …”
Rarely do you hear a GM say it as frankly as that, but given Silva spouting off, Hendry likely felt that there was no reason to play the “he’s a competitor, but we decided to go in a different direction” game. Silva was scoffing at the notion of having to compete for a spot since the time camp began. And his efforts matched his attitude. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
And for what it’s worth, manager Mike Quade is not going to let Silva have the last word about all of this. And he breaks out the F-bombs in doing so:
See ya later, Carlos. Likely not playing baseball, however.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)