Mar 28, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
You may have heard that the Cubs released Carlos Silva. You may have also heard that — before he was released but after he was told that he wasn’t making the rotation — Silva ripped the Cubs in general and Cubs’ pitching coach Mark Riggins in particular over the way it was all handled.
Whatever, Silva. I mean, we can debate whether or not the Cubs handled this the right way — David Brown makes a good point or two about the Cubs’ decorum in delivering the news to Silva — but I think GM Jim Hendry pretty much nailed it in his comments after the release:
“Basically, he wasn’t good enough to make the team. We try to factor in not only spring training, but the second half of last year. You’re looking at a guy who had a 14-something ERA from July 11 on, and came to camp with the notion that he already had a spot in the rotation … Obviously, we’re dealing with a man who at this particular point of his career is not willing to face the facts that what he’s done the last few years, except for a two-month period (last year), is well below major league standards …”
Rarely do you hear a GM say it as frankly as that, but given Silva spouting off, Hendry likely felt that there was no reason to play the “he’s a competitor, but we decided to go in a different direction” game. Silva was scoffing at the notion of having to compete for a spot since the time camp began. And his efforts matched his attitude. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
And for what it’s worth, manager Mike Quade is not going to let Silva have the last word about all of this. And he breaks out the F-bombs in doing so:
See ya later, Carlos. Likely not playing baseball, however.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights