Mar 28, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
You may have heard that the Cubs released Carlos Silva. You may have also heard that — before he was released but after he was told that he wasn’t making the rotation — Silva ripped the Cubs in general and Cubs’ pitching coach Mark Riggins in particular over the way it was all handled.
Whatever, Silva. I mean, we can debate whether or not the Cubs handled this the right way — David Brown makes a good point or two about the Cubs’ decorum in delivering the news to Silva — but I think GM Jim Hendry pretty much nailed it in his comments after the release:
“Basically, he wasn’t good enough to make the team. We try to factor in not only spring training, but the second half of last year. You’re looking at a guy who had a 14-something ERA from July 11 on, and came to camp with the notion that he already had a spot in the rotation … Obviously, we’re dealing with a man who at this particular point of his career is not willing to face the facts that what he’s done the last few years, except for a two-month period (last year), is well below major league standards …”
Rarely do you hear a GM say it as frankly as that, but given Silva spouting off, Hendry likely felt that there was no reason to play the “he’s a competitor, but we decided to go in a different direction” game. Silva was scoffing at the notion of having to compete for a spot since the time camp began. And his efforts matched his attitude. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
And for what it’s worth, manager Mike Quade is not going to let Silva have the last word about all of this. And he breaks out the F-bombs in doing so:
See ya later, Carlos. Likely not playing baseball, however.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)