Mar 28, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
It looked like a longshot even a couple of days ago, but after playing five innings in right field in minor league games on Saturday and Sunday, the Mets intend to have Carlos Beltran on the Opening Day roster.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Beltran is expected to be in the starting lineup for tomorrow’s Grapefruit League game against the Nationals, which means the Mets would lose the ability to backdate a potential DL-stint.
“Carlos said he’s feeling good and he’s ready to go,” Sandy Alderson said. “At some point you’ve got to move forward. I do think it’s valuable for him to play in major league [spring-training] games. That would be an advantage over the last couple of days. It does present a risk. Look, at some point you’ve got to roll the dice. Given his firmness about how he feels and the fact that he’s ready to go, I think we’ve decided that this is probably the best thing for us.”
Beltran has appeared in just one Grapefruit League game this spring, so Collins indicated that he may drop the veteran outfielder in the lineup until he shakes the rust. Rubin believes the Mets will also likely use a defensive replacement late in games and give Beltran scheduled days off in order to keep his knees fresh.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)