Mar 28, 2011, 2:05 PM EST
It looked like a longshot even a couple of days ago, but after playing five innings in right field in minor league games on Saturday and Sunday, the Mets intend to have Carlos Beltran on the Opening Day roster.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Beltran is expected to be in the starting lineup for tomorrow’s Grapefruit League game against the Nationals, which means the Mets would lose the ability to backdate a potential DL-stint.
“Carlos said he’s feeling good and he’s ready to go,” Sandy Alderson said. “At some point you’ve got to move forward. I do think it’s valuable for him to play in major league [spring-training] games. That would be an advantage over the last couple of days. It does present a risk. Look, at some point you’ve got to roll the dice. Given his firmness about how he feels and the fact that he’s ready to go, I think we’ve decided that this is probably the best thing for us.”
Beltran has appeared in just one Grapefruit League game this spring, so Collins indicated that he may drop the veteran outfielder in the lineup until he shakes the rust. Rubin believes the Mets will also likely use a defensive replacement late in games and give Beltran scheduled days off in order to keep his knees fresh.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)