Mar 28, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
It looked like a longshot even a couple of days ago, but after playing five innings in right field in minor league games on Saturday and Sunday, the Mets intend to have Carlos Beltran on the Opening Day roster.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Beltran is expected to be in the starting lineup for tomorrow’s Grapefruit League game against the Nationals, which means the Mets would lose the ability to backdate a potential DL-stint.
“Carlos said he’s feeling good and he’s ready to go,” Sandy Alderson said. “At some point you’ve got to move forward. I do think it’s valuable for him to play in major league [spring-training] games. That would be an advantage over the last couple of days. It does present a risk. Look, at some point you’ve got to roll the dice. Given his firmness about how he feels and the fact that he’s ready to go, I think we’ve decided that this is probably the best thing for us.”
Beltran has appeared in just one Grapefruit League game this spring, so Collins indicated that he may drop the veteran outfielder in the lineup until he shakes the rust. Rubin believes the Mets will also likely use a defensive replacement late in games and give Beltran scheduled days off in order to keep his knees fresh.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)