Mar 28, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Vicente Padilla continued his comeback from forearm surgery by facing live hitters yesterday for the first time since going under the knife on February 24, throwing 25 pitches.
Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Padilla’s fastball was clocked at 92 miles per hour and he also threw off-speed stuff, which suggests he’s pretty far along in the recovery process.
He’ll begin the season on the disabled list, but barring a setback it sounds like Padilla may be able to return ahead of the initial late April or early May timetable. Once he does join the active roster it’ll be as a reliever unless he can beat Jon Garland back from the DL.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)