Mar 28, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Vicente Padilla continued his comeback from forearm surgery by facing live hitters yesterday for the first time since going under the knife on February 24, throwing 25 pitches.
Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Padilla’s fastball was clocked at 92 miles per hour and he also threw off-speed stuff, which suggests he’s pretty far along in the recovery process.
He’ll begin the season on the disabled list, but barring a setback it sounds like Padilla may be able to return ahead of the initial late April or early May timetable. Once he does join the active roster it’ll be as a reliever unless he can beat Jon Garland back from the DL.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (121)