Mar 29, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
Paul Lukas has no peer when it comes to the world of cataloging and commenting on sports uniform design, and today he has a post I look forward to every year: all of the uniform changes heading in to the new baseball season.
Nothing really major. The Blue Jays have trashed the powder blue alternates. The Dodgers have that light blue home alternate. The Pirates have trashed the pinstriped vest. Lots of memorial patches are floating around. The Padres are — inexplicably — encouraging everyone to use their secondary logo “whenever possible,” instead of their primary logo, yet are still keeping the primary logo and are continuing to call it primary. It’s like the logo has a guaranteed contract or something and can’t be released.
All in all, a quiet year on the uniform front with most of the moves being tasteful enough. No terrible missteps. And though I love the Blue Jays’ powder blues, the fact that they never wore them on the road like God and Nature intended made me rather blah about the whole enterprise.
Good stuff from Lukas. Check it out.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)