Mar 29, 2011, 9:17 PM EDT
Some of you may remember a story from the New York Times back in 2007 that detailed some complaints from tenants of an apartment complex in the Tampa area owned by Alex Rodriguez. While Selena Roberts was guilty of taking some liberties with the subject matter at the time, it appears that conditions haven’t improved at his properties.
According to David Hill of NBCMiami.com, the Normandy Park Apartment complex recently came under fire from local housing officials for safety code violations.
A-Rod’s tenants identified a number of red flags to city officials, including overflowing trash receptacles, rusty pipes, and a heinously murky swimming pool which looked more like a science experiment than a place to cool off on a sunny day.
A local news team in Tampa also reported on the story Sunday evening, putting some extra heat on A-Rod and his management team.
“It’s amazing a person that’s got that much money can have properties that look like this,” one tenant told Tampa’s Fox 13 News. Another tenant called Rodriguez a slumlord.
But according to TMZ, the property managers employed by Rodriguez to oversee the apartments have begun cleaning up the complex and drained the offending pool. TMZ said a few of the tenants at Normandy Park said “everyone responsible seemed to step it up” after they first posted photos of the complex on Friday.
I’m sincerely wondering how much Rodriguez has to do with the day-to-day operations of this place. I’m guessing just about zero. Either way, it’s nice to hear that they are making some changes, even if it took the media to kick them in the butt to make it happen.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)