Mar 29, 2011, 9:17 PM EDT
Some of you may remember a story from the New York Times back in 2007 that detailed some complaints from tenants of an apartment complex in the Tampa area owned by Alex Rodriguez. While Selena Roberts was guilty of taking some liberties with the subject matter at the time, it appears that conditions haven’t improved at his properties.
According to David Hill of NBCMiami.com, the Normandy Park Apartment complex recently came under fire from local housing officials for safety code violations.
A-Rod’s tenants identified a number of red flags to city officials, including overflowing trash receptacles, rusty pipes, and a heinously murky swimming pool which looked more like a science experiment than a place to cool off on a sunny day.
A local news team in Tampa also reported on the story Sunday evening, putting some extra heat on A-Rod and his management team.
“It’s amazing a person that’s got that much money can have properties that look like this,” one tenant told Tampa’s Fox 13 News. Another tenant called Rodriguez a slumlord.
But according to TMZ, the property managers employed by Rodriguez to oversee the apartments have begun cleaning up the complex and drained the offending pool. TMZ said a few of the tenants at Normandy Park said “everyone responsible seemed to step it up” after they first posted photos of the complex on Friday.
I’m sincerely wondering how much Rodriguez has to do with the day-to-day operations of this place. I’m guessing just about zero. Either way, it’s nice to hear that they are making some changes, even if it took the media to kick them in the butt to make it happen.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)