Mar 29, 2011, 9:17 PM EDT
Some of you may remember a story from the New York Times back in 2007 that detailed some complaints from tenants of an apartment complex in the Tampa area owned by Alex Rodriguez. While Selena Roberts was guilty of taking some liberties with the subject matter at the time, it appears that conditions haven’t improved at his properties.
According to David Hill of NBCMiami.com, the Normandy Park Apartment complex recently came under fire from local housing officials for safety code violations.
A-Rod’s tenants identified a number of red flags to city officials, including overflowing trash receptacles, rusty pipes, and a heinously murky swimming pool which looked more like a science experiment than a place to cool off on a sunny day.
A local news team in Tampa also reported on the story Sunday evening, putting some extra heat on A-Rod and his management team.
“It’s amazing a person that’s got that much money can have properties that look like this,” one tenant told Tampa’s Fox 13 News. Another tenant called Rodriguez a slumlord.
But according to TMZ, the property managers employed by Rodriguez to oversee the apartments have begun cleaning up the complex and drained the offending pool. TMZ said a few of the tenants at Normandy Park said “everyone responsible seemed to step it up” after they first posted photos of the complex on Friday.
I’m sincerely wondering how much Rodriguez has to do with the day-to-day operations of this place. I’m guessing just about zero. Either way, it’s nice to hear that they are making some changes, even if it took the media to kick them in the butt to make it happen.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)