Mar 29, 2011, 10:12 PM EST
After what we heard last night, it was pretty easy to see this one coming.
According to Jaymee Sire of CSN Bay Area, Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed earlier tonight that closer Brian Wilson will begin the season on the disabled list with an oblique strain. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that an official announcement is expected sometime tomorrow.
Wilson has felt better in recent days, but it makes sense for the Giants to be extra cautious here. Because Wilson’s DL-stint can be backdated, it’s possible that he could be back as soon as April 6, which is the fifth game of the season. In other words, no big deal.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 28
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 79
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (103)