Mar 29, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
After what we heard last night, it was pretty easy to see this one coming.
According to Jaymee Sire of CSN Bay Area, Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed earlier tonight that closer Brian Wilson will begin the season on the disabled list with an oblique strain. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that an official announcement is expected sometime tomorrow.
Wilson has felt better in recent days, but it makes sense for the Giants to be extra cautious here. Because Wilson’s DL-stint can be backdated, it’s possible that he could be back as soon as April 6, which is the fifth game of the season. In other words, no big deal.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)