Mar 29, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
After what we heard last night, it was pretty easy to see this one coming.
According to Jaymee Sire of CSN Bay Area, Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed earlier tonight that closer Brian Wilson will begin the season on the disabled list with an oblique strain. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that an official announcement is expected sometime tomorrow.
Wilson has felt better in recent days, but it makes sense for the Giants to be extra cautious here. Because Wilson’s DL-stint can be backdated, it’s possible that he could be back as soon as April 6, which is the fifth game of the season. In other words, no big deal.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)